Candling

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know its hard to do, But I know people do it.... I have 5 eggs due today (No peeps). than another 20 some odd on the 19th, And I wanna know what I can do to see if any are good.... advice?

2. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    It's not hard at all if you have a bright light to use for candling. I use a bright LED flashlight. There are some how-to articles about candling here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks
    One thing to keep in mind is that this close to hatch you don't want to mess up the humidity levels in your incubator by opening it up and doing a bunch of candling. You might be better off to just wait it out.

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you're quick it shouldn't be an issue, just dont hold the 'bator open. I have candled eggs to check for internal pips on their due date. I've saved chicks that were unable to pip on their own this way. [​IMG]

4. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Just be quick taking them out.

The way I see it, at this point, leave them be. Candling won't change anything, but opening the incubator might!

5. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I just hatched 37 BW Quail that some pipped on the 23rd day but NONE zipped and hatched until the 25th day. We had a great hatch. Give your eggs an extra day or two.

6. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, Even after this hatch, I have another batch to hatch next week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by