Canker in an indoor hen?

Coniferchicken

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2023
I have an old hen (she’s probably 10-12). She lives indoors in my house, and has lived indoors for about four years (she had a close call with a bear breaking into my coop and was traumatized, so I brought her inside). In the last week or so she’s declined. She stopped eating altogether about three days ago. She’s been shaking her head a lot. Her eyes mostly stay closed. I noticed a strange smell about her yesterday. I looked in her mouth and did see a yellow cheesy thing right behind (and next to) her tongue. Could this be canker? Since she lives indoors, I don’t see how it could be since I’ve read that canker is caused by wild birds. She never goes outdoors (she’s terrified to go outside). I don’t know it’s it’s fowl pox because how would she have gotten that? I live in the mountains and we’ve been buried in snow and freezing temps for months, I’ve never seen a mosquito in my house. I have another indoor hen (a Silkie) who is fine. They have separate cages and separate food and water. I unfortunately don’t have an avian vet near me. It may be too late to help her, she’s very thin, but if I could try, I would like to.

I have an old hen (she’s probably 10-12). She lives indoors in my house, and has lived indoors for about four years (she had a close call with a bear breaking into my coop and was traumatized, so I brought her inside). In the last week or so she’s declined. She stopped eating altogether about three days ago. She’s been shaking her head a lot. Her eyes mostly stay closed. I noticed a strange smell about her yesterday. I looked in her mouth and did see a yellow cheesy thing right behind (and next to) her tongue. Could this be canker? Since she lives indoors, I don’t see how it could be since I’ve read that canker is caused by wild birds. She never goes outdoors (she’s terrified to go outside). I don’t know it’s it’s fowl pox because how would she have gotten that? I live in the mountains and we’ve been buried in snow and freezing temps for months, I’ve never seen a mosquito in my house. I have another indoor hen (a Silkie) who is fine. They have separate cages and separate food and water. I unfortunately don’t have an avian vet near me. It may be too late to help her, she’s very thin, but if I could try, I would like to.
I’m curious how your hen is and if you got to the bottom of the issue. I just had a bird die and was told it was canker, but she lives in a fully enclosed run and wild birds have zero access to water or food. Their food and water is also very well contained. Trying to find out how these birds get infected.

I’m curious how your hen is and if you got to the bottom of the issue. I just had a bird die and was told it was canker, but she lives in a fully enclosed run and wild birds have zero access to water or food. Their food and water is also very well contained. Trying to find out how these birds get infected.
Well, she died last week. I never did figure out how she would have gotten it, or even if that’s what she had. I have another indoor bird and she’s fine. I did treat my old hen with Metro, she rallied for a bit, but then declined and died.

Well, she died last week. I never did figure out how she would have gotten it, or even if that’s what she had. I have another indoor bird and she’s fine. I did treat my old hen with Metro, she rallied for a bit, but then declined and died.
Oh I’m so sorry. These birds really steal your heart, don’t they?

Sounds like canker with the odor. Here's a link where you can purchase Ronidazole to treat the protozoa that causes canker. Follow the dosing instructions on the package: I recommend expedited delivery.
https://allbirdproducts.com/collect...ications/products/ronidazole-6-powder-generic
What are your thoughts about egg withdrawal with Ronidazole? I treated my entire flock, and was then told that there is a lifetime withdrawal for eggs. Then I was told that the reason for the lifetime withdrawal is because there have been no studies done, and there is no way to know how long it stays in their systems. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom