Canker treatment - have I got the right stuff?

Emmaschooks

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Hello,

I have a chicken with recurring canker, we’ve had some success with metronidazole and carnidazole (Spartrix tablets) but they are losing their impact and I want to try the acidified copper sulphate solution instead. Except this stuff really scares me because I read if you get the quantities wrong your chicken is a goner. Can somebody please verify if the packet below is the right copper sulphate I can use - I am scared because the packet also says pentahydrate in smaller letters and I’m worried I have the wrong stuff. I am aware I need the ACV to make it acidified and I already have some cranberry juice ready to help her find it tastier.
I just don’t want to poison her, I love this chicken and need to know I have the right copper before I proceed.

TiA

image.jpg

You have the food grade so it is the correct stuff. Otherwise, it could be contaminated with heavy metals.
The pentahydrate only means that the CuSO4 has 5 water molecules attached to it and is not amorphous.
The acidification of CuSO4 is usually done with 10-15% by wt citric acid (when you buy Acidified CuSO4) but the acetic acid in ACV should also work. What it does is reduces the pH of the solution and leaves more Cu ions available for uptake.

You have the food grade so it is the correct stuff. Otherwise, it could be contaminated with heavy metals.
The pentahydrate only means that the CuSO4 has 5 water molecules attached to it and is not amorphous.
The acidification of CuSO4 is usually done with 10-15% by wt citric acid (when you buy Acidified CuSO4) but the acetic acid in ACV should also work. What it does is reduces the pH of the solution and leaves more Cu ions available for uptake.
Brilliant thank you! Was panicking a bit as acidified copper sulphate not that easy to get in the UK? So should I follow the same mixing up instructions as normal? I have 2 different mixes:

2.5l water
1tsp ACV
1gram copper sulphate

Or

1/4 tsp pre-acidified copper sulphate per gallon water

(Does the cranberry juice volume need to be included in the water volume?)

Thanks so much for your help

Brilliant thank you! Was panicking a bit as acidified copper sulphate not that easy to get in the UK? So should I follow the same mixing up instructions as normal? I have 2 different mixes:

2.5l water
1tsp ACV
1gram copper sulphate

Or

1/4 tsp pre-acidified copper sulphate per gallon water

(Does the cranberry juice volume need to be included in the water volume?)

Thanks so much for your help
Because you don't have the acidified CuSO4, just use the first formula that uses ACV.

I just got my packet off amazon i think I just searched copper sulphate - surprised it was that easy tbh
Did this work for you? I can't find it here. Will have to order online. I am currently using Vetrycin Plus Spray. She's very small too. Going to have to check rest of flock. My chickens are 5+ years old. She is even older.

Thank you. Found that earlier. I went to an aquatic store that also sells birds and things for ponds. Nada on copper sulfite and no fish mox. They think its not allowed anymore. I know they cracked down on fish meds because people were using them in poultry.

BTW, we had a very hot summer, mosquitoes, still having 80+ days and lots of smoke. Does wet fowl pox smell at all? I read some where about iodine as treatment, can't even find that! I live in country, cattle, sheep, goats chickens, etc. Ridiculous and three farm stores.

Back
Top Bottom