Canner question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by australorpchick, Dec 28, 2009.

1. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    DH bought me a pressure canner for Christmas. I read on another site that I can use the pressure canner to do water bath canning, just not to turn/seal the lid. Would you recommend doing this or should I just buy a water bath canner too?

Edited because I can't type today.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I have a water bath canner, and DH bought me the pressure canner for Christmas. If I can fit the jars in, I am weeding out the water bath and using the new pot for it. I see no reason to store two.

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I've had both for years, but use my pressure canners to WB can all the time. A pressure canner will not be tall enough to WB quart jars - unless it's a model that allows you to double stack pints.

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Once you've tried pressure canning you'll never want another bath again. SOOOOOO much better and safer than a water bather.

DW and I canned some green beans one time before her dad bought us a pressure canner. We followed the directions for green beans to the letter. A week later we couldn't figure out where that HORRIBLE smell was coming from in the kitchen. After a couple days of cleaning in cabinets, drawers, under refrigerator, and anywhere else we could reach, see, or squeeze into we found our stench. Every one of the jars of greenbeans were leaking and ROTTEN! Pressure canner = safe-to-eat food

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I would get the waterbath canner, too. I have both and use them both. I started out learning on a waterbath. Wouldn't give it up now either.

6. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I agree with Ozark hen..I use both..sometimes I even have both going at the same time. (btw some thing should only be water bathed).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by