Cannibolism

Sullnily

Hatching
Apr 2, 2015
I have 4 buff brahmas, 1 Rhode Island red, 2 silver wyandottes and 3 barred rocks, all females. My 2 of my buffs are getting pecked at to the point being bloodied. I have removed them to dog crates. One is really bad. What should I do?

My first thought with issues like this is always overcrowding. How old are the birds and how much space do they have?

Just over 2 years. We have a good size run under the coop. The coop has 4 boxes and is about 5 ft by 5 ft, pitched roof.

Ten birds in 25 sq. ft. is way too tight! Reevaluate your feeding program also, and either greatly enlarge your coop, or get rid of your aggressive birds. I have about five sq. ft. per bird in my coop, and that includes many bantams. Mary

I'm surprised you've not had issues sooner. Minimum space is generally considered 4 square foot per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run. These rules are not hard and fast, but your birds are absolutely telling you they're too crowded and need more space. You might be thinking that's not the issue cause they've been fine for 2 years, but IMO that was pure luck. Agree with Mary you need to either enlarge your space or cut your flock by about half.

Its happened to me when I introduced 2 of the same kind of chicks they got beaten and died. So maybe thats why they only attack your 2 buffs.

Back
Top Bottom