Canning and Home preserving

Hi Deb, I'll be following along :pop I've canned most of what you're looking to work with. I do color outside the lines from time to time, but I have the benefit of a biologist and a food science expert to help me gauge my risk. Fish is the most difficult because it's so fragile. Beans are the easiest. I always can my meats in stock of some sort or oil. Happy Canning.

What's a canning jar?
I have a few Mason jars of various sizes. I can shove a few quail in them and take pictures.
:D
Mason jar... I can process 1 pints but would prefer 1/2 pint. I would be leaving the bones in... I can tell by weight if thats easier.

Yep just shove em in the jar after partially roasting them and top with broth. I can do 10 pints or 12 half pints in my canner. When you are ready to eat you pour out the broth reduce it and make a pan sauce out of it... Then you take the bird out warm it or nuke it till its warm enough and if I put veggies in the jar make a mash out of em and pour the sauce all over.

deb

Hi Deb, I'll be following along :pop I've canned most of what you're looking to work with. I do color outside the lines from time to time, but I have the benefit of a biologist and a food science expert to help me gauge my risk. Fish is the most difficult because it's so fragile. Beans are the easiest. I always can my meats in stock of some sort or oil. Happy Canning.
Awesome and welcome....

One of my favorite you tubers is a Registered home preservation expert. She always cites the College extension publications and or the FDA books.... She shared her book of all the publications she gathers and that sucker is loose leaved about four inches thick.

deb

Awesome and welcome....

One of my favorite you tubers is a Registered home preservation expert. She always cites the College extension publications and or the FDA books.... She shared her book of all the publications she gathers and that sucker is loose leaved about four inches thick.

deb
One of my funniest stories were a bunch of geeks hanging out on the hotel patio, with adult beverages trying to figure out the best, most efficient and safest way to do stock and bone broth. I ended up with a 160 quart stock pot, 150,000 BTU burner and two American Standard pressure canners that each do 14 quarts and a two burner propane stove.

Mason jar... I can process 1 pints but would prefer 1/2 pint. I would be leaving the bones in... I can tell by weight if thats easier.

Yep just shove em in the jar after partially roasting them and top with broth. I can do 10 pints or 12 half pints in my canner. When you are ready to eat you pour out the broth reduce it and make a pan sauce out of it... Then you take the bird out warm it or nuke it till its warm enough and if I put veggies in the jar make a mash out of em and pour the sauce all over.

deb
A little boy. Average size younger male.
IMG_20191111_141702.jpg

I can. Mostly jams & pickles. I want to do salsas too, but haven't because I thought you need to do something different because of the acid in the tomatoes, but can never remember what that is, or if its an old wives tale. :confused:

I should really start canning beans. Maybe this thread will inspire me to start. :fl

I can. Mostly jams & pickles. I want to do salsas too, but haven't because I thought you need to do something different because of the acid in the tomatoes, but can never remember what that is, or if its an old wives tale. :confused:

I should really start canning beans. Maybe this thread will inspire me to start. :fl

Water bath canning tomatoes is the way to go BECAUSE they are high acid. Things like green beans and meats (low acid) need to be pressure canned.

With all the new varieties of tomatoes and questionable acid levels I add lemon juice to every jar. Citric acid can also be purchased powdered to add.

:woot Ball canning book.

A little boy. Average size younger male.
View attachment 1986391
perfect size for half pint with some added veggies.... Thanx

Roomy... Hi.

Lemon juice I hear... but without a Ph tester best bet is to add lemon juice to be on the safe side.

deb

Wally world sells a fairly good salsa mix, plus there's some good ones in balls blue book. If you're unsure, pressure can.

One of my funniest stories were a bunch of geeks hanging out on the hotel patio, with adult beverages trying to figure out the best, most efficient and safest way to do stock and bone broth. I ended up with a 160 quart stock pot, 150,000 BTU burner and two American Standard pressure canners that each do 14 quarts and a two burner propane stove.
Score.... g American standard is on my drool list....

Be careful using those high BTU Burners, run them on low... or they can warp a pressure canner.

But I want one for my Summer kitchen if I ever get to build one.

deb

Back
Top Bottom