Canning and Home preserving

Pics
Not a propper seal. I have seen several videos of people showing how their jars sealed that way. I have some sitting on the counter that tecnically sealed on their own. But as soon as the bariatric pressure changes or the temperature in the house rises those seals are at risk of coming un done.

deb
When properly done, using hot sterilized jars, lids and rings and a proper head space, they will seal just fine. I have been doing it this way without a water bath for jams, jellies and various pickles without any failed seals. Changes in the barometric pressure have never made any difference. Improperly done, cold jars, lids or rings, insufficient head space or canning fluid too cool, can cause failure with temperature change.

After reading the first page, and skimming the second, I hope I am not missing anything. :oops:
I have canned;
meat and meatless chili, potatoes (the bigger, the firmer they stay), pickles, tomato sauces, salsa, blueberry syrup, apples in various ways, meatballs in broth and sauce, meatloaf (slides out of wide mouth jars), milk, sauerkraut, venison, fowl, bone broth, cabbage rolls, beef roasts, barbecue sauce and a rhubarb wine.

Last edited:
After reading the first page, and skimming the second, I hope I am not missing anything. :oops:
I have canned;
meat and meatless chili, potatoes (the bigger, the firmer they stay), pickles, tomato sauces, salsa, blueberry syrup, meatballs in broth and sauce, meatloaf (slides out of wide mouth jars), milk, sauerkraut, venison, fowl, bone broth, cabbage rolls, beef roasts, barbecue sauce and a rhubarb wine.
Wow! You can everything! I'd be interested in your sauerkraut method. I tried making it this year and it spoiled. :( But I did it in a crock, not in a canning process.

I have canned;
meat and meatless chili, potatoes (the bigger, the firmer they stay), pickles, tomato sauces, salsa, blueberry syrup, meatballs in broth and sauce, meatloaf (slides out of wide mouth jars), milk, sauerkraut, venison, fowl, bone broth, cabbage rolls, beef roasts, barbecue sauce and a rhubarb wine.
Rhubarb wine recipe please.

Back
Top Bottom