Canning and Home preserving

Pics
I came from a multi culture family. Mom was from the south, dad was Pennsylvania Dutch/German from Pennsylvania. I grew up on ethnic food. From mom it was pigs feet, pork hocks and beans, apple pie, fried chicken and pot roast. From dad's side of the family, Shoo fly pie, sauerkraut and pork hocks or pork roast, sour cream chocolate cake, chicken pot pie, beef pot pie (not pot roast but pie made with a thick gravy, onion and big square noodles served with a lettuce sweet and sour sauce) pot cheese, head cheese, pickled tripe....the list goes on.

I liked a lot of it, others not so much. A bad gall bladder drove me away from the high fat foods such as pork hocks and pickled pigs feet but they will pry a slice of sour cream chocolate cake from my cold dead hand.:drool

It was an old family joke when my mom said that the only good thing her MIL ever gave to her was some of her recipes. We kids would say, what about dad? To which she would say, the only good thing my MIL ever gave me was her recipes!:gig

@perchie.girl I don't know if I would be brave enough to make my own dog food. Not how these young cattle dogs eat. They've slowed down a bit but it's SOP for them to go through 50 pounds of dog food in about 2 weeks...up some from the 7-10 days while they were growing.

I'd be willing to try freezer jam. I think I read that strawberries make up into a fine freezer variety of jam.

Back
Top Bottom