Canning and Home preserving

Pics
I just shared a way to preserve eggs a couple of pages back. Using Water Glass Method. which has been used Several hundred years...
yes thank you I saw that - I read this thread from the beginning, though I couldn't keep up with it over Christmas (too many demands on my time!) and had to catch up in the early morning over a day or two; it still races away while I'm sleeping/busy! Clearly lots of us have more than a passing interest in this topic :p :D

Been cleaning my little Pigpen meaning my computer work area.... AAACHoooo.

And considering how I am going to set up my work kitchen... I already figured out how to chill my Pantry...And I can make it modular.... :wee

I only have to battle a few 100+ days per year. Heat exchange system can deal with the ninety degrees but I need an Air conditioner to deal with the hotter temps.

deb

Ok keyed in the search criteria "pickled eggs chalky yolks"

https://suburbivore1.wordpress.com/2014/12/01/pickled-eggs-non-rubbery-non-chalky/

While I wouldnt cook the eggs as he or she does but I would cook them a minimum time. I put the eggs in a pot bring it up to a rolling boil then turn the flame off and put a lid on them... let em set for around 12 minutes Then pour off the water and chill them down... This is the method for cooking without causing the Green aura surrounding the yolk.

Peel and use the concentration of Vinegar and water he or she uses... The ratio is 1.5 cups water to 1.5 cups Vinegar and 1 tbsp salt.

deb

Now back to the Original Programming

Canning

Here is a recipe that I finally found through several weeks of digging. Since this is a more than thirty year old recipe i did my work. I have looked at the ingredients and compared it to individual ingredients in the latest publication. All good.

I love love love Pickled pigs feet... Ya I know but I do... what can I say.
I figured if Hormel can do it I should be able to...

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/cure_smoke/pigs_feet_canned.html

Canned Pickled Pigs Feet
Ingredients
  • Pigs feet
  • 2 quarts vinegar
  • 1 small red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon whole allspice
  • 1 bay leaf
Scald, scrape, and clean feet thoroughly. Sprinkle lightly with salt and let stand for 4 to 8 hours in the refrigerator. Wash the feet well in clean water. Place them in hot water and cook until tender but not until meat can be removed from bones.

Mix remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.

Pack feet into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Fill jars 1/2-inch from top with the boiling vinegar solution. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process.

Process in a Dial Gauge Pressure Canner at 11 pounds pressure or in a Weighted Gauge Pressure Canner at 10 pounds pressure:

Pints or Quarts.................................. 75 minutes

CAUTION: If you are processing at an altitude over 1000 feet, be sure to follow altitude adjustments for your style pressure canner.

This document was extracted from "Sausage and Smoked Meat Formulation and Processing", 1982. Bulletin 865, Cooperative Extension Service, The University of Georgia, Athens. By A. Estes Reynolds, Jr. and George A. Schuler, Extension Food Scientists.
:sick:sick:sick

Back
Top Bottom