Canning and Home preserving

Pics
I am trying to figure out what size of a pantry to build... I

have two Possible locations:
One borrows from the living room and builds a wall across enclosing the space. It would be about eight feet by six feet. There are issues in my climate with keeping the temperature lower than 80 degrees, There is a window in that space where I could place a small Air conditioner set to seventy two or so. The rest of the window can be blacked out to keep light from affecting storage. I could also make access to the pantry from the kitchen in the form of a door in a non structural wall. Plus later on that window can be converted to a door for the canning kitchen that I want to build. Essentially a patio room with work spaces and sinks and a propane burner or two.

The other Uses space in the green house room and could be built at the same time as a canning Kitchen out there. Space would give total freedom. But I would loose space for my Aquaponics project...

I am thinking in the house would be more flexible even if the storage space would not. I would be using space that doesn't get used... Dining room table is parked there. I plan on eating at the counter in the kitchen... Or if I have guests, Out on patio built by the big rock.

And My preference is using wire rack shelving... Its configurable and Modular so If I wanted more Id just buy the same brand

I think I just decided...

Now to figure out how many jars of what to preserve...

deb

YES! I was also thinking that it's always safest to pressure can, and that checking the pH of the sauce would help too. Or, decide that it's not worth it for a bit of extra sauce, and freeze it or throw it out.
Food poisoning is never better!
Mary
There is only one of me so if I get around to making spaghetti, I use bought sauce from a jar, add mushrooms to it, return the unused portion to the jar and store it in the freezer until the next time I use it.

I am here not doing but interesting I put a half used jar of Prego in the freezer should I toss it possibly like 5 months old
It depends on whether you put it in an actual freezer or if you put it in the freezer part of a refrigerator. The latter's constant defrost cycles does not keep things as well or as long as a true freezer will.

Irregardless of that, I have used frozen in the jar spaghetti sauce more than a year later.

Meat must be pressure canned!!!
The commercial products have been, or there would be a lot more food poisoning episodes than there are already.
The problem with hot water canning is that the temperature achieved is too low to kill some very nasty critters, like C. botulinum. Tomato sauce that's not acid enough, even without meat, isn't suitable for hot water canning either, so adding acid is good. How many extra ingredients are safe to add to tomatoes before the acidity is not low enough?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom