Canning and Home preserving

Pics
Not sure on canning times or quantity but heres my mom's recipe passed down from my great grandma from sicily:
2 qts 64 oz Roma tomatoes
2 tbsp oregano
1 tsp basil
4 minced garlic cloves
1 cup red wine
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
12 oz tomato paste

I have never made this myself so I'm not sure how good it is. Simmer for 2 hours

Not sure on canning times or quantity but heres my mom's recipe passed down from my great grandma from sicily:
2 tbsp oregano
1 tsp basil
4 minced garlic cloves
1 cup red wine
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
12 oz tomato paste

I have never made this myself so I'm not sure how good it is. Simmer for 2 hours

Sounds good, reading the recipe is generating a salivating response in me! :drool See?

Sounds good, reading the recipe is generating a salivating response in me! :drool See?
Her spaghetti sauce was always a secret. She never told me it. My brother swears he has it down but he isnt sharing either. Getting recipes from italians is like getting a plan from Da Vinci. Some of the recipes my mother had given me prior to her death had at least one ingredient purposefully wrong. Ive had to dig through everything to find the correct things. This one though was in my great grandma's handwritting so I know it is right

@Ninja Squirrel do you peel the tomatoes, do you think? I saved the recipe. I'll let you know when I get hold of that many tomatoes and have a chance to try this (and can it). Excited, but it may be a while.
It says "canned roma tomatoes" on the recipe so I would assume poach and peel. As Ive said I never tried it myself. I havent grown romas before but my father used to grow big boys, romas and cherry. We had a very large garden

Deb, speaking of canning times, would you know if I'll be able to process dry beans and chicken broth in the same batch? Prob'ly not, huh? Because of density differences.
No, the times are too different. Use pressure according to your altitude

Broth
  • Pints - process for 20 minutes
  • Quarts - process for 25 minutes
Dried beans
  • pints - 1 hour, 15 minutes
  • quarts - 1 hour, 30 minutes
I got these figures from a great website

https://www.simplycanning.com/

deb

Getting recipes from italians is like getting a plan from Da Vinci.
:gig
Some of the recipes my mother had given me prior to her death had at least one ingredient purposefully wrong.
:gig
Clearly she was working in the alchemist tradition! they used to do that too! I'm gonna try that recipe, sounds delicious :drool

2 tbsp oregano
1 tsp basil
4 minced garlic cloves
1 cup red wine
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
12 oz tomato paste

Oooh that is awesome. The only thing I can spot that might objectionable would be the cheese. But dang in those quantities I suspect its just a good seasoning.

Remember its going to cook another 20 or 30 minutes

• Process pints for 20 minutes.
  • Process quarts for 25 minutes.
The recipes I see do not have parmesan.

There is a way to tell if your "recipe" is suit able for canning. look at the times for each ingredient to process individually and take the Highest number... You should omitt any thickeners that are on the do not use list... Like flour, Dairy, pasta, Rice.... But really those can be added when you use your canned products.

There are some substitutions though... But I am not an experienced canner so cannot advise...

There is also a density issue that needs to be aware of... For instance you can pressure can Pumpkin if its cut up in chunks... But Not pumpkin that has been Pureed... Not sure why the density is an issue but its been mentioned several times in my research.

deb

It says "canned roma tomatoes" on the recipe so I would assume poach and peel. As Ive said I never tried it myself. I havent grown romas before but my father used to grow big boys, romas and cherry. We had a very large garden

Oh, I did not see "canned" in the recipe... I see "2 qts. 64 oz.," which I thought the 64 oz was a clarification of the 2 qt. (?). Is it 2 qt PLUS 64 oz.? That can't be right.... now I'm thoroughly confused. Help meeee! :barnie

Back
Top Bottom