Canning and Home preserving

Pics
Romas are the best for canning! They (and their close relatives) are dense and make the best sauces with the least amount of cooking off excess water.
Mary

I've never used Romas or made sauce myself, but I know this to be true. Can't wait to try it, this is on my bucket list!

No, the times are too different. Use pressure according to your altitude

Broth
  • Pints - process for 20 minutes
  • Quarts - process for 25 minutes
Dried beans
  • pints - 1 hour, 15 minutes
  • quarts - 1 hour, 30 minutes
I got these figures from a great website

https://www.simplycanning.com/

deb

Thanks, Deb, got it. You da best! :hugs

Oooh that is awesome. The only thing I can spot that might objectionable would be the cheese. But dang in those quantities I suspect its just a good seasoning.

Remember its going to cook another 20 or 30 minutes

• Process pints for 20 minutes.
  • Process quarts for 25 minutes.
The recipes I see do not have parmesan.

There is a way to tell if your "recipe" is suit able for canning. look at the times for each ingredient to process individually and take the Highest number... You should omitt any thickeners that are on the do not use list... Like flour, Dairy, pasta, Rice.... But really those can be added when you use your canned products.

There are some substitutions though... But I am not an experienced canner so cannot advise...

There is also a density issue that needs to be aware of... For instance you can pressure can Pumpkin if its cut up in chunks... But Not pumpkin that has been Pureed... Not sure why the density is an issue but its been mentioned several times in my research.

deb

I think it's an issue because the density of the packed pumpkin makes it an insulator, rather than a conductor of heat. The inner portion will still be colder than the outer portion after processing. Or in sesquipedalian terminology that I love, you can't get it to reach thermodynamic equilibrium. ;)

Her spaghetti sauce was always a secret. She never told me it. My brother swears he has it down but he isnt sharing either. Getting recipes from italians is like getting a plan from Da Vinci. Some of the recipes my mother had given me prior to her death had at least one ingredient purposefully wrong. Ive had to dig through everything to find the correct things. This one though was in my great grandma's handwritting so I know it is right

My mom did the same thing with her enchilada sauce, and took it to the grave with her. Sigh. We should give these ethnic mamas our state secrets, they couldn't be in more secure hands! :gig

I think it's an issue because the density of the packed pumpkin makes it an insulator, rather than a conductor of heat. The inner portion will still be colder than the outer portion after processing. Or in sesquipedalian terminology that I love, you can't get it to reach thermodynamic equilibrium. ;)
One of my best classes in College was one in vocabulary... I learned ever so much more about words than I thought possible. LOL... Gawd that was 40 years ago....

SMH.... now its all about abbreviations. And Acronyms... I have always been Acronymically Challenged... is that a word?

deb

Oh, I did not see "canned" in the recipe... I see "2 qts. 64 oz.," which I thought the 64 oz was a clarification of the 2 qt. (?). Is it 2 qt PLUS 64 oz.? That can't be right.... now I'm thoroughly confused. Help meeee! :barnie
Sorry allow me to clarify. It should be (64 oz). A quart is 32 oz so 2 quarts is 64. I hope that makes sense

Edit: this is probably put in as a notation in the recipe in case you bought canned tomatoes versus using your own. Not sure how it is in other countries but in the US it says ounces on our canned goods. A regular can is about 16 ounces

Sorry allow me to clarify. It should be (64 oz). A quart is 32 oz so 2 quarts is 64. I hope that makes sense

Edit: this is probably put in as a notation in the recipe in case you bought canned tomatoes versus using your own. Not sure how it is in other countries but in the US it says ounces on our canned goods. A regular can is about 16 ounces

Thanks, Ninja, that's how I understood it. ;)

16 ozs = c. 454g, which is also the standard size can for those of us on metric measures (and which is obviously just the imperial size converted; the milk's even more bizarre, sold in 3.408 litre units, i.e. 6 pints/3 quarts in disguise).

The Korean jerky is delicious BTW :drool
Things I never learned and probably never will:
1. The metric system
2. Celsius
I've gone my whole life without using either:lau

Back
Top Bottom