Canning and Home preserving

Hi Perchie - Following this thread.
I started canning again after moving to our acreage. In the last year we've lost power for over a week twice. This spurred me to put up food for the next time we loose power.

I do water bath and pressure canning. In fact put up 18 pints of dried bean mixture Saturday.

I've put up several pints of zuchinni relish and zuchinni pickles. (Got zuchinni coming out of my ying yang).

I purchased a steam juicer this year and put it to work making juice for several half pints of Blackberry Jelly, Strawberry Jelly and Cherry Jelly. I absolutely love the steam juicer for making jelly. So much easier and cleaner than using a squeezo.

Also used the steam juicer to make chicken broth. Threw a couple whole chickens in and 2 hours later had my broth and cooked chicken to can.

I put up 18 pints of sweet corn, several quart jars of beef stew and ham and bean soup.
Still on the to-do list will be more soups and stews as meats come available. My poor hubby had to buy me 2 pantry units for the kitchen to store all this in.
20200802_144557.jpg

I started canning again after moving to our acreage. In the last year we've lost power for over a week twice. This spurred me to put up food for the next time we loose power.

I do water bath and pressure canning. In fact put up 18 pints of dried bean mixture Saturday.

I've put up several pints of zuchinni relish and zuchinni pickles. (Got zuchinni coming out of my ying yang).

I purchased a steam juicer this year and put it to work making juice for several half pints of Blackberry Jelly, Strawberry Jelly and Cherry Jelly. I absolutely love the steam juicer for making jelly. So much easier and cleaner than using a squeezo.

Also used the steam juicer to make chicken broth. Threw a couple whole chickens in and 2 hours later had my broth and cooked chicken to can.

I put up 18 pints of sweet corn, several quart jars of beef stew and ham and bean soup.
Still on the to-do list will be more soups and stews as meats come available. My poor hubby had to buy me 2 pantry units for the kitchen to store all this in.View attachment 2294422
Zucchini pickles? Ive got too much zucchini myself. Was about to take 3 biggins off to the road with a sign but saw this. Recipe please!

okay was going to add a recipe I like here use then fresh
Zucchini Carpaccio

Serving Size: 4

• 4 small zucchini (1 lb total)
• 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1/4 cup pine nuts (1 oz) 1 (6-oz) piece Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano
• zucchini blossoms, garnish
• basil sprigs, garnish

1. Cut zucchini diagonally into paper-thin slices with slicer. Arrange slices, overlapping slightly, in 1 layer on 4 plates.

2. Make stacks of basil leaves and cut crosswise into very thin slivers, then sprinkle over zucchini.

Still on the to-do list will be more soups and stews as meats come available. My poor hubby had to buy me 2 pantry units for the kitchen to store all this in.View attachment 2294422
Oh my welcome to the thread. That is an awesome use for a juicer. How many pints of Chicken broth did you get?

Then to be able to can the meat. YOu could then do bone broth after getting enough bones together.

Ooo juicer cooked Clams and crabs and even shrimp.... then shell fish stock. Ok now I wanna Juicer.

:drool:lau:gig:drool

deb

I haven't posted here in a while.....

I shred big zucchini and freeze in 2 cup measurements.

This is what I do with that.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10851/cassies-zucchini-brownies/

They are like a moist chocolate cake. I wanted more chocolate flavor so upped the cocoa to 1/2 cup and sugar to 1&1/8 cup.

Yes I jammed them full of walnuts too. :drool

Oh my welcome to the thread. That is an awesome use for a juicer. How many pints of Chicken broth did you get?

Then to be able to can the meat. YOu could then do bone broth after getting enough bones together.

Ooo juicer cooked Clams and crabs and even shrimp.... then shell fish stock. Ok now I wanna Juicer.

:drool:lau:gig:drool

deb
I ended up with 5 quarts of broth used 1 for canning chicken meat. The steam juicer is awesome. I got the style with a spigot instead of a rubber hose to drain off the juice.
Marsha

Back
Top Bottom