Canning and Home preserving

Me either. I drink my homemade kombucha and I have never, ever gotten any kind of buzz from it.

It depends on the strain of yeast that is in the SCOBY ("mother"). If I let mine ferment longer, it just gets more sour. If I let it ferment a reaaallly long time, it's more sour than vinegar. But still not alcoholic.
I have been making kombucha for a year now. My last batch tasted moldy has that ever happened to you??

When canning rabbit I can fit a whole rabbit in one quart jar. I do not can rib meat so it's basically 4 legs and tenderloin. It would feed 3 hungry people. I have smoked the rabbit first and canned. I just did 3 rabbits packed raw with chicken stock. I love canning venison. BTW the rabbit is pressure canned at 10-12 psi for 75 minutes for a quart. Beautiful.

I learned this the hard way when I first started canning. I was following some old family recipes, but luckily, I stumbled upon some modern canning guides that emphasized safety.
One resource that's been super helpful for me is https://justcanning.com/ . They have a ton of tips and tricks for safe and successful canning. It's crazy to think that something as simple as a jar of food could be so dangerous if not done right.
I've since updated my canning practices and feel much more confident in the safety of my preserved foods. It's definitely a learning process, but it's so rewarding to know that I'm doing it safely.

The new, top layer on my scoby is always lighter than the older layers. Sometimes I'll see white "scum" forming on the edges. I think it's kahm yeast, but I'm not certain.

I've read that pink or orange mold is the "throw it all out and start over" stuff. I've never (knock on wood) gotten that.

The new, top layer on my scoby is always lighter than the older layers. Sometimes I'll see white "scum" forming on the edges. I think it's kahm yeast, but I'm not certain.

I've read that pink or orange mold is the "throw it all out and start over" stuff. I've never (knock on wood) gotten that.
Me either the white for sure and brown from tea but no other color.

Back
Top Bottom