Canning Carrots

Thank you all.
bow.gif

I will try the water bath and see if I can keep the crunch.
I'm new to canning and there's sooooo much information out there it seemed easier just to ask the experts.

Here's a recipe for Sweet Pickled Carrots from Better Homes & Gardens "Home Canning Cook Book" c. 1973. I prefer to make it with baby carrots, but it works fine with sliced and they are crisp. I'm sure you could switch up the spices and make them dill if preferred - but I would not lower the vinegar/water ratio.

Sweet Pickled Carrots

Peel 6 pounds medium carrots (about 36). Cut lengthwise into quarters. Cook the carrots in boiling, salted water just till tender, 7 to 8 minutes; drain.
ETA: I cook them until a fork will pierce them slightly, but not until cooked through - "al dente".

In 8 to 10 quart kettle or Dutch oven combine
3 cups sugar
3 cups vinegar
3 cups water
1/3 cup mustard seed
7 inches stick cinnamon
6 whole cloves.
Bring to boiling; simmer 20 minutes. Pack carrots into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Cover with vinegar mixture, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath (pints) 10 minutes. Makes 6 pints.

Regarding canning plain carrots - that should only be done in a pressure canner. They're a low acid food and are not considered safe in a water bath unless pickled.

How long did you process them? And were they hot or raw pack? They will cook in the pressure canning process. However, I've found raw pack for pressure canned items does help some, and don't process them any longer than required.

Here's a link with tested, recommended processing times.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/carrots_sliced.html

Last edited:
Quote:
yeah...they got cooked with the hot packing and then the time in the pressure cooker.

Does the vinegar help to keep them longer? Meaning: Can I shorten the time in the water bath because of the high vinegar content?

Quote:
yeah...they got cooked with the hot packing and then the time in the pressure cooker.

Does the vinegar help to keep them longer? Meaning: Can I shorten the time in the water bath because of the high vinegar content?

I wouldn't shorten the time in an original recipe using vinegar to pickle them. Published recipes are tested, and therefore known to be safe. And even safety standards over time are changed. Once you start changing recipes/times or lowering vinegar ratios, then there are no gaurantees on the safety aspect.

That said....people do that kind of thing. They take chances and get away with it. It isn't worth the risk....you can make 1000 jars that you might get away with. But it only takes 1 jar in that 1000 that grows botulism or other bacteria which would make you or family members seriously sick.....or worse, dead.

Back
Top Bottom