Non-standard Canning jars question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So a lot of stuff they used to say about canning and canning jars there's things that have changed. And they change the information on them.

Like they didn't used to think you could can meat. And you can. Now they say that you can. But some people remember when they used to say you shouldn't can meat. And another one was old canning lid rubber seals, they used to think you shouldn't reuse the seals for fear of the rubber seals under the lids of being weaker. Not a lot of people reuse the lids.

So... then people are saying you can use other jars like store jars that are glass still but not mason jars. Like pace paconte sauce jars. I hear people use those a lot. And stuff like other glass sauce jars. And people are sure you can use those successfully.

My question though is would you put a shorter shelf life on the limit of how long you'd be able to store stuff for in the non-traditional sauce jars though? I hoped someone might have insight on this. Plus, some of those sauce jars the lids aren't like mason jar lids(?)

Thanks.

And stuff like other glass sauce jars. And people are sure you can use those successfully.
Are you looking for a use for a bunch of Ragu jars? My suggestion is to recycle them. If you want to try canning in a sauce jar, look for something with less of a shoulder, shaped more like a canning jar.

I would not chance eating food home canned in anything other than a mason jar, with appropriate lids. Might it be safe, or safe for some period of time? Maybe. I'm not taking the chance. It's not worth it to me. Maybe in the zombie apocalypse. Not now.

I love glass containers for storage. I have lots of empty glass peanut butter jars with plastic lids. I store dried fruit and leftovers in them.

Back
Top Bottom