Canning Chicken Meat

Maybe I'm hijacking the thread a little bit here, but you can raw pack many tough cuts of meat (e.g.: venison shoulder) and raw pack it. The time in the canner turns it into perfect stew meat. No need to pre-cook.

Quote:
My sister cans venison this way every hunting season. Somehow, she is always out by the time I get over to visit. Which is usually late summer, just before hunting season!
lol.png

Back to topic - What size pressure canner do you guys have?

My wife and I bought the 30qt. All-American canner as a wedding present to ourselves. It was expensive, but it should last a few lifetimes. It's so big, it takes forever to get up to temperature, but once you get it running, you can run a lot of volume through it!

Quote:
We start our big one with hot water from the tap and then pour the coals to it with the propane burner. With a 300,000 BTU burner it doesn't take long to bring it up to pressure. It's a lot bigger than it looks in the photo. This will bring a 30 gallon pot of water to a boil in about 30 minutes. The couple of inches of water in the bottom of the canner takes no time at all.

IMG_0536_1_1.jpg

Quote:
We start our big one with hot water from the tap and then pour the coals to it with the propane burner. With a 300,000 BTU burner it doesn't take long to bring it up to pressure. It's a lot bigger than it looks in the photo. This will bring a 30 gallon pot of water to a boil in about 30 minutes. The couple of inches of water in the bottom of the canner takes no time at all.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm199/brewsumore/IMG_0536_1_1.jpg

Where did the giant burner come from? Haven't seen them but about half that size!

Man, now I have pressure canner envy and turkey burner envy!

Although, in defense of my 30 qt. pressure canner, which seems puny compared to the 41 qt. unit, mine does fit on the stovetop (so it has the nice side-effect of working as a radiator for keeping the house warm when we can stuff in the winter) and it fits 14 qt. jars, which isn't too shabby compared to the 17-jar capacity pf the 41 qt. unit. But make no mistake - I like those big honkers too!

I know this is an older post, but hopefully one you guys in the know will be able to answer me.

How long would canned meat last on the shelf? As in before you would really worry about it being spoiled - 3 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years?

Back
Top Bottom