Canning chicken question . . . NEW QUESTION P. 3 :)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KatyTheChickenLady, May 19, 2011.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    ok then!
    Processed 75 birds today [​IMG]
    52 in the freezer (a years worth of sunday dinners) [​IMG]
    Now I want to can either 52 pints, or 26 quarts, for my husbands weekly chicken salad lunch . . .
    any advice as to whether pints or quarts are better for chicken? I would prefer pints, then I could just open a fresh jar every week.
    next, I have the Ball Blue book and read the instructions there, but I am wondering; Can I add a few slices of onion or peppers to each jar to add to the flavor? Maybe a tablespoon of vinegar?
    Does anyone have any good tried and true recipes?
    thanks!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    honestly I'd not add anything...because canning recipes can be so precise...

BUT what kind are you looking for??? I mean do you want herbed etc? or just plain chicken??

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Id also just pints :)

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    thanks . . .
    I'm still wondering though;
    would it hurt to put in a sprig of thyme . . . or a sprinkle of dried thyme?
    or a slice of a fresh jalepeno or a sprinkle of red pepper?
    a few onion slices or a dash of onion powder or garlic?

5. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I frequently can trout, and I like to add some slices of pickled jalapeno and a little salt. You should be able to customize to your liking.

6. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:I think it would be better without but I don't think any of your proposed additons would ruin it or make it unsafe, if that's what you are asking.

7. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Pints for safety.

Quarts can be a bit dicey for ensuring you get full temperature throughout the larger jars. I have seen a couple recipes that caution against canning meat or low acid food in large jars.

8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I want to try this myself havent done it yet. If you do let me know what you think about it.

CHICKEN SPREAD FOR SANDWICHES

8 lb cut-up chicken

1 bunch celery

2 onions

1 carrot

4 peppercorns

1 bay leaf

Salt ΒΌ c. mustard

1 T. grated onion

1 T. vinegar

Pepper to taste

Combine the chicken, water to cover, celery, onions, carrot, peppercorns, bay leaf and 2 teaspoons salt in a large kettle and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, then simmer for about 2 hours or until the chicken is tender. Remove the vegetables, then cool and chill the chicken and broth. Skim off the fat, then reserve 1 cup broth. Remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken, then grind the meat. (I use my food processor) Cmbine the ground chicken, reserved broth and remaining ingredients. Pack into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1 inch head space. Place the caps on the jars. Process for 1 hour at 10 pounds pressure.

To serve: add mayo, pickles, egg, whatever and spread on sandwich bread for a great lunch!

9. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Thanks! I may try this - it sounds delicious.

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    yes that's what I'm asking! would the addition of a flavoring make it unsafe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by