Canning chicken question . . . NEW QUESTION P. 3 :)

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
ok then!
Processed 75 birds today
big_smile.png

52 in the freezer (a years worth of sunday dinners)
big_smile.png

Now I want to can either 52 pints, or 26 quarts, for my husbands weekly chicken salad lunch . . .
any advice as to whether pints or quarts are better for chicken? I would prefer pints, then I could just open a fresh jar every week.
next, I have the Ball Blue book and read the instructions there, but I am wondering; Can I add a few slices of onion or peppers to each jar to add to the flavor? Maybe a tablespoon of vinegar?
Does anyone have any good tried and true recipes?
thanks!

Last edited:
honestly I'd not add anything...because canning recipes can be so precise...

BUT what kind are you looking for??? I mean do you want herbed etc? or just plain chicken??

thanks . . .
I'm still wondering though;
would it hurt to put in a sprig of thyme . . . or a sprinkle of dried thyme?
or a slice of a fresh jalepeno or a sprinkle of red pepper?
a few onion slices or a dash of onion powder or garlic?

Quote:
I think it would be better without but I don't think any of your proposed additons would ruin it or make it unsafe, if that's what you are asking.

Pints for safety.

Quarts can be a bit dicey for ensuring you get full temperature throughout the larger jars. I have seen a couple recipes that caution against canning meat or low acid food in large jars.

I want to try this myself havent done it yet. If you do let me know what you think about it.

CHICKEN SPREAD FOR SANDWICHES

8 lb cut-up chicken

1 bunch celery

2 onions

1 carrot

4 peppercorns

1 bay leaf

Salt ¼ c. mustard

1 T. grated onion

1 T. vinegar

Pepper to taste

Combine the chicken, water to cover, celery, onions, carrot, peppercorns, bay leaf and 2 teaspoons salt in a large kettle and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, then simmer for about 2 hours or until the chicken is tender. Remove the vegetables, then cool and chill the chicken and broth. Skim off the fat, then reserve 1 cup broth. Remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken, then grind the meat. (I use my food processor) Cmbine the ground chicken, reserved broth and remaining ingredients. Pack into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1 inch head space. Place the caps on the jars. Process for 1 hour at 10 pounds pressure.

To serve: add mayo, pickles, egg, whatever and spread on sandwich bread for a great lunch!

Back
Top Bottom