Canning Peaches-what did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by DuckLady, Sep 2, 2009.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I canned 40 pounds of peaches yesterday. I followed the directions in the Ball Book of Canning and they all floated to the top with about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottom of the jar just juice.

I packed them in good and tight. I spent quite a time fitting them in nice and neatly. I took out the air bubbles with a thin spatula and covered with syrup to 1/2 inch of the top.

Water bath for 30 minutes per directions.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't know other than you didn't have them packed in as tightly as you thought you did. That's the only time I've had that happen.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Won't they settle to the bottom ( like my whole tomatoes did)after a day or two?? I would almost bet they will.

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    With all this rain, our fruits are much more juicy than usual. I cook my peaches down a bit, add some brown sugar and pack really tight, only adding a bit of lemon juice and STILL they come a bit watery... but the cooking down and brown sugar gives it a thick, yummy look [​IMG]

5. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    From what I understand this is OK. I too thought separation was bad but have been told by old time canners that is OK.

6. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    thats the same way mine did last year and they are still good.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Just thinking......
    Does th e syrup have anything to do with the floating?

I used medium syrup. If I used a lighter syrup, would the peaches then be heavier than the syrup and not float?

Quote:I thought that, too, Katy after my first batch came out of the canner. On the next batch, I crammed them in so tight that I hardly had to add syrup at all and they still floated.

They will still made a great cobbler, pie or peaches and cream oatmeal. [​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Hot pack or raw pack, Terrie?

I've found that raw pack tends to float more than hot pack, though it's easier to pack the jars.

I don't worry if they float. They taste the same once the jar is opened.

9. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    They are fine. See if they settle after a couple of days. I've had this happen also. I wouldn't think the syrup should make a difference.

I'm sure they taste yummy! [​IMG]

10. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    That's not normal?? I must be doing it wrong too!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by