Canning pumpkins

Puree is great, of course - many desserts.

We always make up a big batch or two of pumpkin stew. Our recipe is spicy, uses chopped pumpkin (peeled), and tomatillos, Hominy, red peppers, onions and spices. Freezes great. When made, it is vegetarian, however, we like to prepare a white meat (like chicken or pork or turkey) or sausage to serve with it because the pumpkin stew compliments it. Tastes great over pretty much any grain - we've put it on rice, or millet, or buckwheat/kasha (roasted buckwheat) and all are good with it.

I also recall having made a pumpkin chili before, and it was really good, but would have to look for that recipe, if I still have it.

First of all, keep in mind that all pumpkins aren't suitable for eating. Most of them are really watery and stringy. They'll feed your chickens and any livestock you may have very well but you could be disappointed in them.

For eating look for small pumpkins that are very heavy for their size.

I've never canned pureed pumpkin but if you want an easy recipe for Pumpkin Butter that cans very well, here goes:

Microwave Pumpkin Butter

Yield: makes about 24 ounces

Summary:

This is a very simple preparation for a preserve that tastes very much like pumpkin pie.

For best results, use a very large glass bowl so that you can see the action of the pumpkin in the microwave. Guessing at the time won’t work and if it’s over-boiled you’ll get a gummy grainy result. That said, when you can see what’s happening and pay attention to the timing you’ll get excellent results.

• 1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée, do NOT use pie filling
• 3 tablespoons powdered fruit pectin
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2 1/4 cups sugar

1. In a 2 quart microwave bowl, combine pumpkin, pectin, cinnamon and allspice. Mix well. Microwave on High for 6 minutes or until very hot, mixing every 2 minutes. Add sugar, mix well. Microwave on High for 5 to 10 minutes or until full rolling boil, stirring once during cooking. Continue to boil for 1 minute.

2. Spoon into 3 hot 8-oz. or (or six 4-oz.) canning jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Wipe rims clean. Screw lids tight. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months. OR process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath and store on a shelf for up to a year.

HINT: don't be tempted to use a smaller bowl. The pumpkin will boil up high.

As long as the pumpkin is not damaged or frozen, they will keep for months as is. I work a fall festival and have access to unlimited pumpkin after Halloween. I select smaller firm pumkins and squirrel them away in the basement. Personally, i hate pumpkin but my chickens and geese love them. It's nice to have some free fresh produce in the winter. Keep an eye on them. One rotten damaged pumpkin can cause a mess.

Pumpkin and winter squashes need to be canned under pressure, and in chunks, not as a puree. Home canning cannot generate the ultra-high pressure necessary to can pumpkin as you find it in stores.

I thought about canning butternut squash one year (I had 90!), but decided not to after I read several warnings about home canning it. I don't know why it has to be in chunks, and not mashed; seems that the high heat of pressure canning would penetrate mash better. When it comes to canning food, though, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I did have really good luck freezing my excess squash. I cooked it, mashed it, and put it in pint jars that are for canning or freezing.

Think of all the pumpkin seeds you can roast.... yum! Good luck!

Anyone canned pumpkins, and if you did how are you using/eating them? Canning in pints or quarts? My daughter has a line a farm ditching them for a truck load for $10 :eek: I got no idea on how to eat them besides pie.

I got a 4' wide by 6.5' truck bed and no way we could put that up. Maybe some and feed some deer to can them also.
We would be in heaven we can in quart and can in cubes cook them till soft and can just the way they are that way my flock has some all winter and then process what you want for pumpkin pie we make dog/cat treats from them too my animals love it

Pumpkin and winter squashes need to be canned under pressure, and in chunks, not as a puree. Home canning cannot generate the ultra-high pressure necessary to can pumpkin as you find it in stores.

I thought about canning butternut squash one year (I had 90!), but decided not to after I read several warnings about home canning it. I don't know why it has to be in chunks, and not mashed; seems that the high heat of pressure canning would penetrate mash better. When it comes to canning food, though, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I did have really good luck freezing my excess squash. I cooked it, mashed it, and put it in pint jars that are for canning or freezing.

Think of all the pumpkin seeds you can roast.... yum! Good luck!

We have an All American 915, why could we not can it in that? I understand it can't be water bathed. Why can't we make a puree and cook for 75 or 90 minutes or what ever the Center for Home Preservation says?

Back
Top Bottom