cannot decide on a Breed, need opinions and advice

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

we are new to the chicken hobby and are researching breeds trying to decide which one is best.
We want a breed that lays well and is generally docile. Here are some that we are considering.
Brahma, Orpington, Australorp, and Sussex. In your opinions and experience which one
of these is best? As for the roosters, do any of these breeds produce roosters that are
a bit more laid back than others? Any other information and experience related to these
breeds would be great!

Thanks, your opinions matter.

D.gif

Every breed has some bad apples but generally the buff orpingtons are very gentle natured. I started with them. They lay well too. One draw back is in their second year they can go broody. They basically want to hatch chicks. I have three kinds of orpingtons now and the buffs are the friendliest. Get them from a breeder instead of hatchery. There are some good ones on here. They will be nicer birds which are breed to be much gentler. Gloria jean

welcome-byc.gif
Roy,

I can recommend buff orphingtons and black australorpe for gentle, docile, and good egg layers. My buffs do tend to go broody but that might be a plus for you. I also have Delawares who are also very docile and sweet, actually my favorites. My black australorpe is about 6 years old and still laying edible eggs.

I recomend the Black Australops. They have the egg record of 364 eggs in a year and they are very docile and quiet. Mine are the tamest chickens I have .

I think it's probably hard to go wrong with any of these. Of course chickens have their own temperaments and personalities just like people or dogs or cats do, but these are all generally good-natured. I have a Buff Orpington, a Black Australorp and two Delawares. I have heard great things about Sussex, as well.

I'd recommend the Brahmas....the roos are nice and friendly....Were you planning on getting some from a hatchery or breeder? If a breeder, I'd also recommend the Orpingtons...in either Buff, or Black, Blue, Splash (BBS), they are large and friendly!!

I am 6 months new to this as well and i bought a variety of dual purpose chickens that i was interested in. i have australorps, buff orphingtons, Easter eggers, a speckled sussex, a coocoo maran, a red sex link, and a black sexlink. My favorite is the speckled sussex, The easter egger is very nice, the coocoo maran is a good chicken and both red and black sex links are tame and gentle. My least favorites are my 3 buff orphingtons and my 3 austrolorps. the 3 buffs are flighty, non approachable, and sometimes i wonder about their witts. I've never seen a chicken run by the same open gate so many times and not go throught it. Well i find them pretty. As a matter of fact pretty is the way we describe them. You really can't go wrong with any of these breeds, but every chicken is different. Good Luck

I agree in getting a mixed flock, it is more fun for the beginner, and if you get a breed that for whatever reason, you don't care for, you won't have a flock of them. This way you can see what you really enjoy about having chickens. I had a flock of all one kind of chickens, and it was very difficult to tell them apart, and identify their characteristics.

I do think I have the only 2 year old buffintons, that show no interest in going broody.
hmm.png

Mrsk

I bought 6 Buff Orpingtons because I thought they were so pretty. The breeder said they were so docile and not predator savvy, that I should get some Rhode Island Reds because they were more predator savvy. Well, the BO's were not as friendly as the RIR's, but they are learning. I go out in the evening and sit with them a while and hold them on my lap (I also do a quick check of their crops, weight, feathers, etc) and this seems to be helping all of them be more friendly and accepting of me. Of course, hand feeding them grapes doesn't hurt either:lol: My roo is sweet, too. I can't wait to see how he turns out. I wasn't supposed to get any roosters, but I am glad I have him now. I want some of my hens to have chicks. Your best bet is to go to the Breed page and see what qualities each breed has. Sexlinks (not a breed, but a cross between 2 high egg producing breeds) lay the most eggs. Some of the breeds are just so beautiful you want to get them even though they are not good egg producers, but are bred to be purely ornamental. I want some gold laced and silver laced wyandottes, too, but the breeder I bought from in the spring isn't hatching right now...maybe next spring!

Back
Top Bottom