Cannot decide on which design be best for us

I just received my Eglu Cube this week after ordering weeks and weeks ago. I'm not sure whether I just ordered at an odd time or whether they all take that long, but mine had to be shipped to the U.S. from the UK. If you need a coop soon, you may want to check around and see what ordering times are - it may help guide your decision.

That being said, I set the Eglu up last night and I really like it so far. It seems sturdy yet fairly portable (it has foot levers that raise it up on the wheels so you can roll it around). I can't say how it might do in -20 degree weather, though. I don't think I've ever been in -20 degree weather, so I couldn't even guess.

Good luck!

A dog house would work well if you put it on a dolly with heavy duty wheels on it. Put the run together with pinned hinges at the corners that can be taken apart to move it.

I'm thinking out loud here. Decision must be made very soon. I'm primary caretaker who is stay-at-home mama. I'm planning on a trip with just us girls. My dearest didn't tell me so but I already know that they MUST move out of house and they MUST have secure place outside with abundance food and water lasting 12 or 24 hours at stretch (check 'em before leaving and after arriving home from work).

I have had considered converting dog kennel into two levels but knew my dearest wouldn't be too excited. He is 6' 3" and usually the one who cleans up after our black lab. It cannot be expanded, it is larger size. Space is precious enough already within fenced backyard. We do not want to risk allowing dog and chicken to mix. This black lab is known to chase and chew.

I double checked the city ordiances. Nowhere the word of chicken, bird, or fowl is found. That's how I know I can "get away" with having two or three banties as a pet.

I do have advantage of 16' alley for our use as neighbor have mix of shrub and fence on their line. But coop cannot be large enough to block a vechile from driving through. I have 14' trampoline there full time and I don't want to move anything else but THAT.

Winter here can get as cold as minus 20. Wind is big thing but coop will parked on garage apron on sheltered side. I could tuck them inside garage but I prefer not because storage bay is full enough during winter.

I have had considered purchasing another dog house but then I'll need to figure out how to convert dog house AND homemade run into portable set. I do not want coop to be permentant.

I'd LOVE to buy small wooden play house and convert it into coop! But again, the portablitiy issue. Have anybody found a way to convert this type into portable coop? Run including. I could put in a wall in this playhouse, dividing room in half. One half (1/3?) would be for garden tools. Remaining space will be for chickens.

Our garage is detached and tucked in one corner of lot. Area between garage and house is fenced. Not too small or very large for two toddlers and a black lab. I do not want to fill it up with things that I cannot move. Swing set and dog kennel is what I cannot move. One pinic table along with few chairs I can move. Plenty of lawn in front but we do not want anything permentant out there beside raised beds and periannuals. Portablility is a must for this purpose.

I do not want to get building permit. That means permenant coop is out and portable coop is in.

I could design a kind of blanket to go over Catawba Converticoop to help insulate better during coldest part of winter. There will be outdoor electric outlet right beside where coop will sit during winter. Perfect to connect one light bulb to. This appeals to my woodwork hobby.

'Mini' Eglu- my dearest is most interested in this earlier. But then, I'm not too excited about bending over a lot just to tend the chickens. Eglu Cube sure do appeal me. I don't know yet how it will fit in our budget. I haven't yet measured out in our back yard to see how much space it really take. This appeal as to looking sleek and easily cleaned.

AAAARGH! I wish it is very easy to make an decision! I could always give away these three banties but I'm not ready to do that yet. I could always start over next spring if I do give away. They already have a good home to go to if I ever decide to do that.

City wide garage sale this Saturday (16th). Junk day ending next Thursday (21st). First day of trip on 26th. What and when to decide concerning these banties before deadline (26th)?

If you have any advice and/or thoughts you think might be of a help for me, throw them my way!! :)
I love my Eglu cube! It is on wheels and is easily moved (and mine has 3, 3 foot extensions!) it protects the chickens, allows your dog to be out in the yard along with the kids; and, if you want you can easily open the door and give them free range time when they're alone. I let mine out each evening after work and on the weekends. It looks nice, is SUPER easy to clean and I just think it's the best thing. They stay dry, which is most important for their health, so you can't really go wrong, imho. I do agree they are a bit pricey but my sister looked long and hard for a good wooden coop and it cost as much or more so, it seems for a good dry, safe coop this is the best!

Back
Top Bottom