Cannot get the chickens to go into the coop at night

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thechickenwife, Dec 5, 2009.

1. thechickenwife

thechickenwife Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    What can I do to get them in there? I have tried leaving them in there a couple of days, putting them in there at night, putting food in there only. Nothing works. I find them every night huddled up in the corner of the run. I put a light in the coop 2 days ago and they still won't go in there. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of the coop and run maybe something is just a miss or something.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How small is the coop and would there be anything in there they might be afraid of?

3. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I usually lure mine into their coops with a little scratch feed scattered around while I call them and talk to them. I also use a long straight stick (actually a limb about 5 ft. long) and gently shoo them toward their pen. I have three groups of chickens in three different pens and it's pretty easy to direct them to their respective pens in late afternoon.

4. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    I pick mine up and put them in through the pop door. They figure it out pretty quickly.

5. thechickenwife

thechickenwife Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    ell tonight I went out to put them in the coop and they were already in there. It only took 4 weeks for them to figure it out. Thank goodness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by