Can't Catch/Grab My Ameraucana--Help!!!!

Chick-N-Lover

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
California
I have a 2 month old Ameraucana and I can't catch her. She runs away and gets scared easily. Every time I try to catch her she runs the other direction. This behavior is recent--she didn't act this way before. How can I train her to stop running away? Meal worms??

This is a problem with my birds as well. I don't know if you can completely stop them from being flighty, but you can help them trust you more. Sit down so they aren't threatened, bring treats, and instead of reaching out for them, let them come up to you. Don't try to pet them until they are trusting you enough to stand near you without being afraid. None of my adult chickens enjoy being touched, picked-up, and many don't even like being too near me, but during treat time, they will all crowd around like adoring fans.
smile.png

Is she nearing egg laying age? Some birds get more flighty at this time.

This is a problem with my birds as well. I don't know if you can completely stop them from being flighty, but you can help them trust you more. Sit down so they aren't threatened, bring treats, and instead of reaching out for them, let them come up to you. Don't try to pet them until they are trusting you enough to stand near you without being afraid. None of my adult chickens enjoy being touched, picked-up, and many don't even like being too near me, but during treat time, they will all crowd around like adoring fans. :)

Is she nearing egg laying age? Some birds get more flighty at this time.

She's 2 months and I only try to reach out towards her when I put her in the run.

I have a 2 month old Ameraucana and I can't catch her. She runs away and gets scared easily. Every time I try to catch her she runs the other direction. This behavior is recent--she didn't act this way before. How can I train her to stop running away? Meal worms??
sounds like a teenager to me!! When she's fertile she may submit to you, but for now she's all "you're not my mom!" Amd "none of my friends mom make them go in the coop" and not doing homework and whatevs. It may pass!
Try tossing treats into the coop instead of picking her up...

sounds like a teenager to me!! When she's fertile she may submit to you, but for now she's all "you're not my mom!" Amd "none of my friends mom make them go in the coop" and not doing homework and whatevs. It may pass!
Try tossing treats into the coop instead of picking her up...

Okay thanks for the tips I will do that :)

Back
Top Bottom