Can't decide...baby chicks or pullets...want them to be socialized but afraid of getting a roo!

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I am going to be adding 3 chicks to my small flock of 3 almost 2-year olds this spring. I am so excited! This is my first flock and I am so in love with them and love being a chicken mom.

My dilemma is this...I don't know if I should get baby chicks or some young pullets. I would love to imprint on them early since I raise them primarily as pets. I know the younger you get them the better chances that they'll be social and comfortable with you. But I am so scared of getting an accidental roo like I did in my first flock even though they were sexed as female. That would be my biggest concern and issue with getting baby chicks.
So I was thinking about getting maybe 6 - 10 week olds young pullets. By then most of them would start showing some roo characteristics. But then I am losing the opportunity to hand-raise them from the beginning and they probably won't be as social, comfortable, docile, etc., right?

Looking for some advice and suggestions.

I am going to be adding 3 chicks to my small flock of 3 almost 2-year olds this spring. I am so excited! This is my first flock and I am so in love with them and love being a chicken mom.

My dilemma is this...I don't know if I should get baby chicks or some young pullets. I would love to imprint on them early since I raise them primarily as pets. I know the younger you get them the better chances that they'll be social and comfortable with you. But I am so scared of getting an accidental roo like I did in my first flock even though they were sexed as female. That would be my biggest concern and issue with getting baby chicks.
So I was thinking about getting maybe 6 - 10 week olds young pullets. By then most of them would start showing some roo characteristics. But then I am losing the opportunity to hand-raise them from the beginning and they probably won't be as social, comfortable, docile, etc., right?

Looking for some advice and suggestions.
Totally understand. We got 6 chicks thinking we got all hens and lo and behold...we got a Roo alright. He is kind of a jerk but we like having him around to protect the girls. He's not too mean to them but he sure doesn't like us. LOL. Thought about having him processed but he's only doing what comes naturally and he's looks after the hens so we are keeping him around. We just take the broom with us in the run and hold it out to keep him at bay Ha Ha

Totally understand. We got 6 chicks thinking we got all hens and lo and behold...we got a Roo alright. He is kind of a jerk but we like having him around to protect the girls. He's not too mean to them but he sure doesn't like us. LOL. Thought about having him processed but he's only doing what comes naturally and he's looks after the hens so we are keeping him around. We just take the broom with us in the run and hold it out to keep him at bay Ha Ha
Aw I would love to have a roo. My original roo was the sweetest. He's in my profile pic sitting on my head before he got too big then he would just cuddle in my lap. But unfortunately they are not allowed where I live. And I get attached very quickly so can't endure the heartbreak of another accidental roo.

Aw I would love to have a roo. My original roo was the sweetest. He's in my profile pic sitting on my head before he got too big then he would just cuddle in my lap. But unfortunately they are not allowed where I live. And I get attached very quickly so can't endure the heartbreak of another accidental roo.
Handsome guy! Ha Ha

But there are very limited options there and I know that there is still a chance of a roo.
Look into Bielefelders. It's obvious at hatch what gender they are.

What they are NOT is cheap and plentiful. There might be someone out by you who has them. Google the breed; a list of hatcheries will give you an idea of how much they and how close.

I wouldn't get older chicks if you're friendly with your flock. They are generally basket cases - and they could bring diseases into your flock that you can never get rid of. I would do autosexing. Crested Cream Legbars are amazing!
Oh yikes I do not want any basket cases haha. I was planning on quarantining for at least 2 weeks if I got pullets. But I would love some blue eggs so Crested Cream Legbars would be cool.

Oh yikes I do not want any basket cases haha. I was planning on quarantining for at least 2 weeks if I got pullets. But I would love some blue eggs so Crested Cream Legbars would be cool.
Yeah. It’s just sort of a gamble with the older birds/chicks. If you’re raising them to sell you take care of them well, but don’t necessarily take the time to tame them. I’ve raised and sold myself and I am kind to the birds to sell, but I don’t coddle them like those I’m keeping. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom