Can't decide which to keep & which to cull... Help please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lac1975, Oct 11, 2011.

1. lac1975

lac1975 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    I have a total of 23 chickens, 16 pullets & 7 roosters. (That's not counting my banties.) I know that is way too many cocks in the henhouse, and I plan on culling some of them. But that is where I am having my problem. Which do I keep/cull??

I ended up with 3 white Leghorn, 2 that I am now thinking are Anconas (instead of Exchequer Leghorns like originally thought) and 2 EE crosses. Th EE crosses are gorgeous & I would really love to keep those. But I don't want to get rid of all the other breeds.

Would it possible to have peace in the henhouse with 4 roosters to 16 hens--the 2 EE crosses, 1 WL & 1 Ancona. Or would I still need to narrow even more?

Thank you for any advice in advance!

2. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    For the happiness of your hens, cull down to at the least 2 roosters. If you want to keep more, could you house them seperatly?

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    5 roos to 16 girls? still too many...can you re-home some of them?
    My understanding, but it is up to you, the owner, 1 roo to 10 girls...I have 2 to 16 girls...nobody is bare backed, nobody has dropped off egg production, all is quiet...
    I had to re-home my 3rd roo...luckily...maybe you can get rid of a few

4. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Keep 1 of each- max 2. Segregate;, eat, or rehome the others. Life is hard for extra roosters.
    good luck.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd consider personality of each one and keep the two nicest ones.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  6. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I'd start by keeping the nice roosters; the ones that take good care of their girls, and don't attack people. It sounds like you have a mixed flock, and don't care about breeding. If you were interested in breeding, you'd cull roosters with obvious flaws.

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Sound like you just need to get more hens... [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Someone's a rabble rouser!

Personally, I had three roos for sixteen hens, and everything was good. BUT, my birds were free ranged 24/7, and I think that made all the difference. You could always try it, with the awareness you'll probably have to get rid of another roo down the road. Keep an eye on the hens for bare backs, excessive hiding or running from the roos, things like that. How much space do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by