can't figure it out

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by duckin88, Oct 8, 2011.

1. duckin88

duckin88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    Camden,Tn
    I have had three hens turn up missing with no sign. The first time it was just one then a couple of weeks later I lost two in one day. No feathers,no nothing. Both times it was during the day. Anybody got any suggestions.

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Hawk maybe? [​IMG] What breeds, Do you think they could have gone broody?

3. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Could be a family of foxes storing food for the winter or i t culd have been hawks that carry off the entire bird when its still alive and then kill it in a tree somewhere else.

4. duckin88

Oct 8, 2011
    Camden,Tn
    I was thinking it might be a hawk but not sure. I have RIR,comets, buff orp, Barnvelder rooster, 3 bantam roosters, 4 mille fleur hens( I think its spelled right) and just had 10 hatch last night.

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Fox & coyotes both snatch & run with your hens I am currently doing battle with both. Having lost 1/3 of my flock I have managed to trap a couple possums , coon, groundhog got something the other night but trap was found empty. But we had been out with the chickies all day running power tools went in to bleed the bladder, fix something for lunch came back to see a yote running off with a hen but 2 were gone. We have seen fox running through the yard as well.No feathers no carcass just no birds. Well something to think about.

6. duckin88

Oct 8, 2011
    Camden,Tn
    I do have coyotes around and if their here than foxes are to. Thanks

7. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

We have also had bobcats do this......

8. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    If it's being carried across the property they usually leave feathers along the way. It won't be obvious like a pillow was torn open, but check especially under fence lines, that's where I usually find where the animal dragged the chicken across.

(Edited because I didn't make sense!)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  9. EM Squared Farms 2

EM Squared Farms 2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    FL
    Quote:I've lost a few to a bobcat too. The mystery predator could be a hawk or bobcat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by