can't figure out how to candle

LittleRooster

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 29, 2009
Georgetown, DE
Hello,

I have chickens and turkeys but I have never hatched any of my own chicks/poults. I had a Polish hen that gathered eggs and started setting them but nothing ever happened with them...after 5 or 6 weeks, I finally took them from her and disposed of the eggs.

I bought some turkeys last year, 3 of them, one is a Bourbon Red/Bronze mix and the other two straight Bronze. I ended up with 2 toms and a hen so the Bronze tom went for our holiday dinner and I kept the pair, in hopes of having eggs. Spring has been doing quite well laying eggs and Tom seems to be doing his duty. I have eaten most of the eggs because I have been waiting to get an incubator (long story). Well, a few weeks ago (I'd say between 2 and 3), Spring started setting on her eggs (and I believe a few of the chicken ones too). I don't know the exact date. I haven't wanted to disturb her (afraid she might abandon her duties) so I haven't checked so see how many eggs she has under her.

I searched on here to try to figure out if they are viable. I found the post about candeling them. I tried to candle them but I can not see anything through the shell. At this point I will just wait it out and see what happens but is there any advice people can give me? I do hope there are some babies to be born soon. I read that I should keep Tom out of the coop? Should I provide game bird chick food in case they hatch? It doesn't seem like Spring is eating much, should I try to give her special food or treats?

Thanks for any advice or help!

- Kitty

Just leave here alone and she will do the work. She is eating and drinking all she needs. She will not get off the nest with you around but she will to eat and drink and go to the bathroom. After the poults hatch, you do need feed and water that the poults can get.

Kitty

I take my eggs into a dark room to candle. It is really hard to see anything if you are doing it in full light. It won't hurt to take a couple of eggs from her for awhile to take a look.

I always wait until after dark to candle the eggs. A really, really bright light helps. I have an LED light with a roughly one inch diameter beam, which is perfect for doing this, except -- I can't find the danged power cord, its rechargeable -- getting dim on me. I know that cord is lurking somewhere around me house!

My dad, an old (he's 87) farmboy from way-back, says to make an easy candler, get a super large styro cup. turn it upside down and cut an egg-shape hole in the bottom--just a little smaller so your egg just sits in the hole. put the cup and egg over a strong flashlight and there you are, an egg candler! Mine worked great, but I did have to take it into the dark bathroom. I have a little led flashlight attached to a tripod that works perfectly. The wide mouth of the big cup fits just right over the legs of the little tripod and the light is strong, but not as hot as a regular flashlight can be. don't know where we got ours--maybe an auto store. anyway, this one is certainly free if your flashlight is bright! enjoy!

I tried to candle a few hens eggs; just to practise. The LED flashlight is very strong light and the flashlight is small enough to fit in a toilet paper roll and hold the egg on top IN A VERY DARK ROOM. A good first try at candling, I think. Toilet paper roll is too wide for many eggs. But sure was fun practicing on non-fertilized eggs just to start practicing.

Back
Top Bottom