Can't figure out why 1 hen is laying and 1 isn't

BeeWern

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Hi,

First, let me say thank you to everyone for all the info on the site and forums. I did a ton of research and reading on here before attempting to keep chickens for the first time and I designed my coop based on some of the chicken tractor concepts I saw here. After a few initial modifications it seems to be working well and the chickens seem like they are comfortable and safe.

After completing the coop I bought 2 hens from a local poultry farm just outside of town. I was told that 1 is an Australorp and the other is a Barred Rock. The lady at the farm said that they are both approx. 18 months old. They are on a steady diet of organic feed from a local feed store, vegetable scraps and whatever they eat while they are 'free-ranging' in the bottom section of the tractor.

I've had the chickens for about a month and have been getting about 1 egg every 2-3 days. I am almost certain they are coming from the Australorp (she was in the nesting box one day and then a few hours later I found an egg). I feel as though I should be getting more eggs. **Can anyone help me understand why the low productivity?**

They don't seem stressed or sick, I've been told that its common for chickens to slow down some during the summer here because it gets so hot. (Gainesville, Florida). I've also been told that 1 egg every 2-3 days is common for an 18 month old hen. Even still, why is 1 laying and the other one nothing?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

Heres a few pictures of the birds and the coop:

photo_1.jpg
[/img]

photo_2.jpg
[/img]

photo_4.jpg
[/img]

photo_5.jpg
[/img]

photo_6.jpg
[/img]

Could she possibly have said 18 weeks, instead of 18 months? My White Rock started laying at 17 weeks. I can't think of any other reason you are not getting more eggs, if they are healthy. Course, I'm kind of a newbie, and everything I've learned is from this forum.....

It's possible, but they are both about the same size and seem way too big to be 18 weeks. At the farm she had them seperated in different coops based on age as well so I don't think they would have made that mistake.

Thanks
smile.png

Well, the older the chickens get, the fewer eggs they produce. If you got them at 18 months that could be part of it. Also, sometimes it takes one chicken more time to adjust than another might.
Have you checked for mites/worms?
Could it be that they may be even older than what you were told? I only ask because as hard as I try, I cant keep track of how old most of mine are--which is why I have spreadsheets with their info. Unfortunately, some of them I still have no idea how old they are because the previous owner had no clue...

Back
Top Bottom