Can't find any law about pet chickens in Indiana!!

I still have not found any rules concerning chickens around here. I have a lowell IN adress but I live in an unincorperated area. Two other people out here have had fowls of diffrent kinds and no one said anything to them. I just want to be sure incase I end up with an upset neigbor. Also in a few months my dh will be adopting all four of my kids. There will be a person who has to come out and see the house and stuff to make sure it is suitable. By that time I will only have three chickens. I am just afraid that I will be getting one of the city folk that don't know what a chicken even looks like and then get a bug up their but about me keeping chickens. If anyone knows about the laws around here or where to go to find them out please help
fl.gif

Hi chiknwhisperer!
I grew up in Munster and had lots of friends in Lowell! My sister lives in Crown Point.
Miss Indiana but I love my home in Maine!
Nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you!!! My hubby grew up here in Lake Dale and went to school in Lowell. Any idea how this area feels about chickens? I refuse to get rid of little sweeties, they are just to cute.

If you live in an unincorporated area, check the county rules. My address is Fort Wayne, but since I live in an unincorporated area-aka county-I am allowed to keep poultry. You can also check to see what zone you live in. If you live in a residential or business zone, the chance exists that you could have problems...but if you live in an agricultural zone you shouldn't have any problems since chickens are considered part of agriculture
smile.png

Hello Neighbor! I live in Lowell also. I came to this forum to find out more about keeping chickens. I am in the town proper. I have come to find out that the people on the town board here do not like animals. The people had a hard time getting a dog park, one on the board even said she didnt' like animals.

Out where you are, I would just say that it is a 4-h type project. I think as long as the neighbors don't complain you are ok, unless you have a neighborhood association. I know some of the areas of Lake Dale do. Even this you may be able to get around. If you call the county extention up in Crown Point they may have some answers for you. You can find your zoning by going to C.P.at the goverment center. I have also seen turkeys and other fowl out there. Good luck with your chicken quest! Peace

I live in Hammond, I know they are not permitted here, but I know as far as merillville they are allowed.... just depends on the town too, look into it through city hall and ask them! Or call an Animal shelter!

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom