chicken coop on wheels considered an accessory structure?

SokeyDokey

Chirping
Jul 16, 2021
We converted our kids playground swing and fort structure into a chicken coop by chopping the fort section down and now its a cute little playhouse looking chicken coop. We had this coop sitting in our yard and got hit with a citation for not having the proper permit for an "accessory structure". We are hoping to avoid having to go through all the headache and fees to get the permit (which may not be approved because the township is very strict about the coop but not chickens) We added wheels to the little coop and now it rolls easily and beautifully anywhere we want to place it.
My question is, would this rolling coop with no permanent foundation be considered an accessory structure? I can't seem to find any information about a rolling coop in the township codes and haven't gotten a response from the township. Just hoping to pick your brains and see if anyone was in a similar situation and how they resolved it.
Thanks
S

All I can add is that if a building is on a legal, registered trailer, building codes do not apply. Depending on the area, they usually fall under storage trailer or RV laws, most of which have to do with road safety (dimensions, weight, axles, etc.).

When people put tiny homes on a legal trailer it offers more freedom from codes, although parking it may still be restricted. In some places they're registered as RVs, in others treated like a loaded trailer... one state actually refers to them as a "cute load", another as a "mobile art sculpture" Lol.

That said, simply adding wheels doesn't make for a legal trailer. If you want to keep this as one, may I suggest finding a small titled trailer, hopefully a cheap used one, to put it on.

Back
Top Bottom