1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't find good feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tequilapickles, Oct 12, 2010.

1. tequilapickles

tequilapickles New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I have two 4-week old Pekin ducks and I think they're ready to move on to something with lower protein. Everything I find says to get them between 14 and 16% protein, but I can't find any waterfowl feed that low where I live. I considered chicken lay pellets but the guy at the feed store looked at me funny and tried to push 19% waterfowl feed. What would you folks suggest? They're on 18.5% protein starter crumbles now.

2. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    I use "Blue Seal" Grower Cal pellets for game birds. I get it from the Amish but it's a commercial food and I think you can find it at most feed stores and farm and garden centers. It's 15% protein.

3. tequilapickles

tequilapickles New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    I'll keep an eye out for it. Do you feed that to them as adults? And also, is there any big problem with giving adult males all purpose lay feed? All I know is they have more calcium and grit for eggshells. I have a male and female and I'm not sure if their biology demands very different foods.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

You can also try Purina Flockraiser, which you can feed to your chickens as well.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I have the same problem. Even the Flock Raiser is too high for ducks over the age of four to five weeks. I solve the problem by cutting their feed with oats, a very low protein, high-fiber feed. You can use wheat for the same purpose, and it's cheap. I buy the horse oats in the fifty-pound bags for about ten bucks.

I start adding it gradually at about three to four weeks, until their feed is about one quarter oats & three quarters feed. Works like a charm. The one time I decided to skip it and stuck with the higher protein feed, I ended up with three cases of angel wing, two of which corrected themselves with a return to lower protein and one of which still suffers a mild case.

Good luck!

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I always forget to add that I feed flockraiser, but my fowl also free range.

7. tequilapickles

tequilapickles New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    Very cool. I think cutting with oats is my best bet. I'll check a few other stores tomorrow and see what I find. Worst case, I guess I could keep them on 16% lay feed. It's too bad the Mazuri feed is so expensive.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Layer feed is fine for the boys if they're also free ranging. Mine eat what the girls eat, 16% Purina layena, and have for two years & they're fine. They also free range during the day, so they balance out the feed with natural forage.

9. tequilapickles

tequilapickles New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    Thanks for the advice - managed to find the Layena today and picked up a bag of it. I guess I'll mix it with their starter 18% until that's all gone to give them a gradual change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by