Can't find homes!

It would be nice if all extra drakes could find a home where they would be pets, but that is not realistic. I have a bunch of drakes I hatched this spring chilling out in the freezer right now. I gave them a great life until it was time. Tried to sell them but no buyers. That's just life. If you can't butcher them yourself, see if you can find a meat locker or butcher who will do it for you.

and I'm looking for a companion for my duckling *sigh*
roll.png

Do an internet search for "livestock", "poultry", "ducks" etc and "for sale" and your area. I found some sites that I was not aware of, I still didn't get any takers. Also, have you posted them on BYC? Try your local feed stores, most will allow you to put up for sale signs. Check the chickenstocks and swaps thread on BYC, thats how I was finally able to rehome my 6 runner ducklings. Good luck.

Last edited:
another good site is oodle.com, ebayclassifieds.com, livestockpets.com, chicktrader.com

Don't worry if the sites seem "small" as in not many ads on them. Just put your ad up. People find it by using search engines anyway, and you should be able to sell them. Sales have been very slow down here in So Cal too, which is usually VERY easy to sell things for a decent price. It is a numbers game. Just up your numbers by running as many ads as you can. Also, craigslist has a Renew feature now. Keep checking your notification letter you got to activate you ad. Click on the link, and after so many days a Renew button will be available. Click that and it moves your ad to the top of the list again. Hope you get them sold. It should be worth it to wait another week or two so you can get some $$ instead of giving them away.

Thanks guys i'll look at some of the site suggested. I couldn't butcher them myself nor eat them as they've been my babies for the past 6 months. I'd be ok with a dinner table home as long as i don't know xD

Bring them to the poultry swap in Corvallis on October 22. No fee for sellers.

Also post them in the auction section here on Backyard Chickens.

Males are always difficult to sell by themselves. People who are breeding rarely need single males. People who are eating don't want males that are over 2-3 months old. (or maybe that is 6 months for Muscovy. What age do Muscovy go into the freezer?).

As a pet who can't be trusted around chickens? That limits his options. Plus the pet people seem to think that poultry should be free.

It's really a shame you can't bring yourself to eat them. A dressed Muscovy in the market seems to be worth about $40, and it is delicious meat. You are giving all that away.

Anyway, come to the poultry swap and say "Hi". I'll be there.

Quote:
We kinda need them gone before the 22 because of them being dangerous to our chickens. Right now they are in a sectioned off part of the coop but can reach their heads through the bars at my chickens. I had them in my back yard but they climbed the fence and got out to get to their "home".

We may end up eating them. I just don't think I could get myself to eat them everyone else can. Maybe after they were dead for a while I might but it would be extremely weird as they've been my babies for the past 6 months, Donald watches TV with me!

I just don't think I could get myself to eat them everyone else can. Maybe after they were dead for a while I might but it would be extremely weird as they've been my babies for the past 6 months, Donald watches TV with me!

I hate to butt in here, and am not saying to stop trying to sell/rehome them, but it sounds like there's a lot stacked against them. Timing, especially. A firm "must be gone by" date is tough with re-homing animals.

It is a tough situation when you raise them, have them watch t.v. with you, and love them. I understand that. But...

It sounds like they have some pretty serious behavior problems. I wouldn't want to adopt ducks that were a threat to other animals, and I get the sense most people aren't only duck owners. I think re-homing is often worse for an animal you care for. They also are used to you, their routine there, and who knows what will happen when they leave your loving home?

I had a rooster who I loved, but the neighbors and I made an agreement - no roosters. I bought "hens" got 2 roosters. I loved my B.O. Roo. He was so sweet and gentle with the girls, and my little captain. He had the whole flock trained. He did what I asked of him, they did what he asked of them.

I thought over a lot of options and realized - most people don't want males. If someone else buys him for table he will deal with the separation from his routine, environment, and girls and then who knows how humanely he will be dispatched.

One of the hardest things I have ever done was to cull that rooster. I know though, he didn't suffer for a moment of his life with me. He went with peace and love and dignity. I was gentle and quick when his time came, and I will eat him when a really special occasion rolls around.

He was a doll too. Sweet to everyone and everything. But, there were 10 sweet, docile roosters a day for free on CL.

If you really DON'T want to do it I know that many Chinese food restaurants love Muscovy. They will pay anywhere from $30-$40 around here, depending on size and age.

Good luck. Again, this does not come from a place of judgement, only that I have been down that road before. You should do what is best for you in the end.​

Kitchen girl is right. when you start something like this it is hard to part ,but if you fall in love with all 4 rabbits you'll have 400 in a short time. LOL
I raise Call Ducks, OEGB's, Finches and Parakeets.
Short Story: My niece was around 7 years old . My Brother bought a dairy calf and named it John Wayne, really! Well JW got old enough to make the trip.
After we got the meat back we had a BBQ . Hamburgers for the kids.
No one had said anything about John Wayne. As we were eating my niece said " I sure miss John Wayne but he made a good hamburger"

It's hard if you don't grow up around it. My suggestion is make Pets of a few and don't pet most. Cause if you raise by the pairs you gonna get lots of babies before you know it

Back
Top Bottom