Can't find homes!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NamahKatana, Oct 7, 2011.

1. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    I can't seem to find homes for my Muscovy drakes. Mom want them gone and not a single inquiry in 4 days! We've posted on craigslist and at the feed store. Not any other places i can think of to post them! I'm asking $15 each is that too much? I'm not just gona give em to anybody free they're good boys(besides attacking chickens). Is there any other place i can look or post to find them homes?

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Try looking in craigslist and see what other people have them listed for. I'm from the other side ofthe country, but this is the time of year a lot of people are getting rid of ducks they dont want to feed all winter.
    I had 5 drakes and 2 hens, so I have been trying to sell all but 1 of the drakes. I sold one back in august for $20, but now I can't even get $10 for them. I ended up selling 2 for $16. Less than what I wanted for them, but I sold them to a family that was going to process them for the dinner table.
    So my suggestion would be to see what everyone else is selling them for. Then go a few bucks lower, or even give a good deal (like 2 for $20). Something along those lines.

3. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Where in Oregon do you live? I'm in WA, and I never have problems finding buyers for extra drakes....... but I realize that most will end up on the dinner table. If you want them to go to pet-only homes you may have to wait a while for the right people to come along, especially with muscovy drakes that attack chickens.

4. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I'v searched CL and have not found any one else selling them in/around my area. I'll probably go to $10 each. Thing is i want them to be pets not dinner.

5. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:The Willamette Valley. If i have to sell them for the dinner table i will but I'd rather not as they are just so friendly.

6. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Wish I lived closer I know a friend that wants a couple

7. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:If they payed shipping id ship em over lol

8. scubagirlwonder

scubagirlwonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Quote:I am in Washington too, and having no luck rehoming my three drakes....bah! I would much rather these boys go to a pet home or to someone who wants to add diversity to their gene pool, but I'd let them go for meat just as long as they don't tell me about it!!! I don't want to know! They've been my babies for the last 3 months and I'd just hate to know they were slaughtered!

9. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm in WA and things are slow, not just for ducks but for any pet, I know several people that bred anything from finches to parrots that have quit and retired from breeding because the buyers are just not there due to the economy.

10. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    did you try posting in hoobly or kijiji?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by