Can't get a permit to build coop - building any ways

Quote:
Call your building department and find out what the restrictions are on building a shed. You might find out if the shed is smaller than a specific size, you do not need a permit. Where I live if the size is under 120 square feet (10'x12') you do not need a permit to build it.

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

I love the play house idea. Or do you need a permit for a large doghouse? Or, if you add on to the side of your barn/stall with old wood, you can say that it was already there.

We are thinking of using my daughters old playhouse, since she has outgrown it. Just going to make a movable "play yard" for the girls
smile.png

We need the yard fenced in anyway.. so added fencing off the truck wont raise eyebrows.
Plus it helps that a year or two ago some kid a few towns over won against the town since it was trying to make her get rid of her chickens.
She said they wernt live stock. They were pets. Town let that go. Since mine wont ever go to a pot. Pets they are!

Last edited:
my understandingif it is portable then no permit is needed...

I did something not sure if it is right or wrong.. but I did it anyway..

we built a shed.. this one is for our stuff so we spent a little money on it..

anyway we put posts in the ground and built it off the ground 12x12 now if it becomes a problem.. we will just cut the posts and make it a portable shed.

wink.png

Quote:
Congrats on the good new.

Essentially a variance would be a one time exemption from the zoning regulation. This would allow you to build what you would need to build for the poultry. You would need to find the specific regulations on why a poultry house is not acceptable then find cause in your favor. As long as the variance would allow you to overcome a "hardship" (in this case the need to raise your own poultry) not pose a health hazard and not set a precedent or be inclusive to you then it should be granted. Also, since you said that you are being lumped together with other types of homes/property that are not similar to yours then this would fulfill the "how is your property different" requirement. Most of the time the variance is granted by the City Council or County Board.

You might want to check out to see whether or not your prohibited from building a chicken coop because of zoning or another type of law. This unfortunately gets confusing sometimes.

Dear MSP,

My wife and I visited the county zoning office, and were issued a 3-4 page application. We completed it, mailed and included a check for $150.00 variance fee.

A week or two later, we received our application, our $150.00 check and a letter stating we were "good to go". Just be mindful of neighbors. We don't live in a subdivision, and the nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. We are zoned for agriculture, so there shouldn't have been any need for application/variance.

http://www.lovinglifeindahlonega.blogspot.com

Have a great night!
Mike and Elizabeth

Don't Break the law...It is often ill defined, and challenging it could be enough.

Tell them it's chicken day care..Keep the little ABC blocks in the coop.
Push one in a stroller and dare them to touch it!

Tell them the chickens are migrant workers and their relatives WILL
be voting in the next election.

Tell them the chickens can speak. Get them to ask one of them their name.
Get them on video asking the chicken what it's name is..

Tell them you married one of them and the rest are from a previous
marriage..They should leave you alone after that...

Tell them the chickens are a rare Mongolian dog. If they don't believe you
tell them you want a DNA test to prove they actually are chickens.
That should take years to resolve in court.

Tell them its your house and your land and you pay your taxes
and they will have to pry your chickens out of your cold dead hands
before you give them up..

Just tell them

Back
Top Bottom