Can't get chickens to drink from Beaktime automatic waterers - help!!

jessgold

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2017
For our new batch of chickens (currently ~9 weeks old) we installed a Beaktime automatic watering system (see photo below). However, not one of our nine chickens has tried out the new waterers. We've tried dipping the chickens' beaks into the waterers. The waterers are not too low or too high for the chickens (in fact they are at different heights because of a slight slope). How do we get the chickens to use the waterers? Or are we out of luck? (Note that we've put a regular jug of water in the coop, so the chickens do have access to water ... it's just that we'd prefer for them to use the automatic waterers, which stay a lot cleaner.) Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

FullSizeRender.jpg

I actually took my birds to a cup I showed them how to fill them sticking their beaks in the water showing where the fill level is
sure hope it helps

I don't know about the Beaktime but I made this with the horizontal nipples and never had a problem. Just in case you need a different idea down the road.

20170422_105015.jpg

Maybe they have, you just haven't seen them. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen my chickens drinking but obviously they do. I'd remove the old waterer.

I just switched my girls over to this type of waterer when I moved them outside a few weeks ago (they are 10 weeks now). What I did was tip up the little yellow float to fill the cup up all the way so they could see the water better (I even let a little water flow over the sides). Mine didn't have any trouble figuring it out but they had been on a nipple waterer in the brooder so they were used to interacting with the waterer in different ways, not sure if that made a difference.

ETA: Oh, definitely remove the other water source. I learned that the hard way when I was trying to switch them over to the nipple waterer. They will always keep doing what they are used to if you allow them to.

ETA: Oh, definitely remove the other water source. I learned that the hard way when I was trying to switch them over to the nipple waterer. They will always keep doing what they are used to if you allow them to.
This. They are creatures of habit. If the old waterer is working for them then they aren't going to change it up and use the new one. Pull the jug out and they'll start drinking from the new one when they get thirsty enough.

Back
Top Bottom