can't get humidity down!!!!

Some one on here told me about this when I was setting up my bator , I couldn't get mine low enough either. Mine is homemade and this worked for me.

I have not ever put a sponge down and it absorb moisture from the air. If people are using the restroom you have the incubator in and water is continuously being used then the humidity is probably going to stay at 60 and up. that is very dangerous to the chicks they will grow too big and then drown right before or during pip. I would definately move them to another room or another spot to get the humidity down. Humidity is VERY important to a developing egg.

The bathroom window being open will give you a humidity reading close to the same outside which is greater than 80%. If you could find or borrow a dehumidifier (costly) from someone for a few days till this rain stops and the outside humidity drops.

I'll try the dry sponge first. My LAST resort is moving the bator as I have no less busy place to put it as my bathroom is blocked off at all times unless someone is using it. For a few hours at night is really the only time using the water should effect the humidity because we always take baths/showers at night and that's when it gets hot and steamy. I do know that the bathroom is not an ideal place but I have had 2 successful hatches in the past month with only 1 complication to a chick. I'm not saying humidity isn't important, of course it is, but I don't think moving the bator is my ONLY option. Thanks for all the great ideas guys.

Okay, take this with a grain of salt as I don't know really, but have you tried putting the vent plugs back in? Seems like most of your moisture is coming from outside the incubator.
Mine is in the kitchen. Both plugs are out and the troughs are empty. I have an orange juice glass of water right under the thermostat acting as a heat sink. My humidity is consistantly staying at 40-45%. Even without the glass of water it was staying at 40%. I keep watching it to see what happens when it quits raining. Not that it looks like it's going to quit raining for at least another week.
roll.png

Other than trying the plugs back in I don't know what to tell you. Good luck though!

Back
Top Bottom