can't get humidity down!!!!

kycowgirl78

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Morgantown, Ky
I have a styrofoam bator and I cannot get my humidity down. There's not even ANY water in it and the humidity is still hanging around 60. My whole last incubation it was around 65 the whole time with a little water and had 6 hatch out of 12 (later found 4 empty) with one crippled chick. Just put in almost 4 dozen eggs, want a good turn out. My bator is in the bathroom (not the best place I know) but everywhere else is very temp fluctating and the bator will be easily disturbed by kids and pets. Bathroom door stays shut all the time to keep pets out because there are also baby chicks in there, but very small window stays open day and night to try and help keep some cool and circulated air in there. NOT WORKING. I can't think of anywhere else in the house that would be a better place for bator. Anyone have any ideas about how I could lower humidity?

You must live in a fairly humid area? I have my bator in my bathroom, and having both sections filled with water its only 60% humidity.
Are you sure that your hydrometer is reading correctly?

I see you are from KY and all the rain here in TN-KY the humidity is high. In fact I was just checking it in the room where the bator is and its 60%. Have you tried maby a closet. Just dont add any water till the readings get down to 40% then only add a small amount when it drops below 40%. I try to keep mine 40%- 45% the first 18 days. Check out this link.
wee.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

It is certainly humid here in KY. I open the top and leave it off for about a minute, let it cool down and then put the top back on, shortly after the humidity returns. I'd move it but anywhere else in the house is pretty accessable to kids and pets so the kids either open it or the cats jump on it and jostle the eggs. That's why it's in the bathroom to begin with!

Oh trust me, we only have closets in the bedrooms and bathroom and there is NO WAY you're gonna put a incubator in there and keep it safe. Since we have no closet space, all our closets are pretty full.

AHH! A DRY SPONGE!! now there's an idea.
big_smile.png
I'll have to try that. Oh crap, I'll have to see if I have a sponge, may have to get one tomorrow. I knew about putting wet sponge to raise humidity but didn't think of dry sponge soaking up humidity.

Back
Top Bottom