First time Hatcher needing Help!

MoparGirl1998

Hatching
Mar 12, 2024
Hello!

I have had a heck of a first hatch. There are currently 11 eggs in my incubator, which was at 71% humidity when the first chick hatched yesterday. All was well, but her hatching bumped humidity up to 85% very suddenly.

Shortly after, the next chick hatched but was not fully developed (yolk and organs still not absorbed) and passed away soon after.

Today, 3 more healthy chicks have hatched. I am fighting the humidity still using the ceiling fan in the room but can’t get it down below 80%.

My concerns:
1. Yolk and blood is EVERYWHERE. I am worried about the healthy chicks slipping and hurting their legs on all the goo. They are fluffy but I believe 2-3 more eggs are very slightly pipped.
2. Humidity being so high causing the rest of the eggs to not hatch well.

We are on day 22 of hatch today.

I am happy with 4 healthy chicks, but don’t want to give up on the rest. Do I go in and remove the dead chick and the healthy ones? Do I just ride it out until tomorrow? I don’t want to potentially harm the healthy chicks trying to give the rest of the eggs a chance they are already damaged from the humidity spike, but also don’t want to further harm the pipped eggs if they are still able to hatch!

Is your incubator calibrated? It may not be reading properly.
You can take the chicks out and but them in the brooder if you're concerned and take a paper towel to the gik.
It was calibrated at the beginning, day 1-18 was a steady 53-55%, and 18-21 was 69-71%. Didn’t have any spikes until the first chick hatched, and then major spiking up to 85% when the second chick hatched and made a mess over everything (I mean EVERYTHING is covered, remaining eggs included)

I think later tonight once all of the healthy chicks are fully fluffed I am going to have a friend come over to help me make a mad dash to get them + the deceased chick out and clean up the puddles of goo without keeping the incubator open too long 🤢. Poor things currently look like they’re skating on an ice rink. Hopefully the other 6 eggs make it, but I am not holding my breath!

It was calibrated at the beginning, day 1-18 was a steady 53-55%, and 18-21 was 69-71%. Didn’t have any spikes until the first chick hatched, and then major spiking up to 85% when the second chick hatched and made a mess over everything (I mean EVERYTHING is covered, remaining eggs included)

I think later tonight once all of the healthy chicks are fully fluffed I am going to have a friend come over to help me make a mad dash to get them + the deceased chick out and clean up the puddles of goo without keeping the incubator open too long 🤢. Poor things currently look like they’re skating on an ice rink. Hopefully the other 6 eggs make it, but I am not holding my breath!
Unless you leave the lid open for awhile, it's fine to open the incubator for chick retrieval.

Better to take the lid off get the peep out! then clean it humidity
will drop when you do.
Welcome to Backyard Chickens. This is a great place to explore and hang out.
Thank you! I have learned so much already! I am so happy with the 4 healthy chicks, if more can hatch that’s wonderful but I think it’s important to prioritize the healthy ones at this point!!

My first go with this incubator, I know for next time to definitely account for the humidity spike that will happen!

That spike is normal when a wet chick hatches and starts drying off. I've had them go from 65% to over 85% when a few hatch. It has not caused a problem for me.

I'm sorry about that second chick. I'm not looking at it and it is your decision but I'd probably take the dead chick out and quickly cover the wet area with a paper towel to minimize how long the incubator is open. You raise the humidity for hatch for a reason. If the incubator humidity gets too dry inside it is possible one of the unhatched chicks could shrink wrap, especially if it has pipped. Shrink wrapping usually doesn't happen even if they have pipped and the incubator is opened but usually does not mean never. It can happen. I've had chicks shrink-wrapped.

Thank you! I have learned so much already! I am so happy with the 4 healthy chicks, if more can hatch that’s wonderful but I think it’s important to prioritize the healthy ones at this point!!

My first go with this incubator, I know for next time to definitely account for the humidity spike that will happen!
Buy a empty syringe like of 20 ml add just 10 at time of distilled water.
Watch the humidity add a bit at time.

Buy a empty syringe like of 20 ml add just 10 at time of distilled water.
Watch the humidity add a bit at time.
One more question - all healthy chicks are safe in their brooder as of about 5 hours ago. I know the radiant heating plate is the appropriate height to them, and they are energetic and can move around when I lift the plate to check on them (listen, I know a silent chick is a happy chick but it also makes me nervous lol), they haven’t wanted to come out from under the plate and explore. I did dip their beaks in water when I transferred them into the brooder, are they just adjusting to their new environment? Still sleepy from hatch? Is this normal or should they be running about the brooding pen and/or eating and drinking by now? The oldest one hatched about 32 hours ago, the newest one hatched about 14 hours ago.

I like to observe broody hens and chicks. When a hen hatches, the first to hatch often spend a full day or full two days under her before she brings them off of the nest. They will move around some but are mostly under her. After she brings them off of the nest they will eat and drink, but they seem to spend a lot of time under her for a day or two. After a couple of days they run around a lot more.

At the age you mentioned yours are pretty much doing what I'd expect. I don't see any red flags at all. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom