Can't get my chickens to go down the ramp!!

Yeah that was another thing I did: Put a light in the coop. As soon as it would get dark they filed right in. There are no street lights or anything like that in my area, so unless the moon is out, it is very dark here. LOL
lol.png
on the catching them! That was fun, but like I said, it didn't last long.

Maybe the problem you others are having is that your rams are too flat? The plans I used came from the Purina website and they show a steep ramp.

58980_coopsideview.gif

58980_coopfrontview.gif

patman75 I don't have a closer pic of my ramp, but it is pretty basic. Two 2x6's 3 feet long screwed to a 1 foot 2x4 that I screwed to the coop side just below the pop door. Then some 1x1's 1 foot long screwed into that every six inches.

After reading all the helpful hints, I gave up and waited for them to use the ramp when they were ready. I also applied the following 3 techniques submitted by some users which definitely helped: scattered food at the top and down onto the ramp, threw some pine shavings on each rung which added traction, and I raised the lower end to reduce the angle. After three days of watching them get more curious, my smart black australorp finally led the other three down. I also followed the advice of putting a light in the coop to entice the back up in the evening. Again the smart one led the way. They finally seemed to grasp that the rungs were the secret to getting a good grip.

I've still got one that will not come down the ramp two months later. I'm not kidding when I say she is mentally challenged. Totally different behavior than the other hens but she produced eggs and goes about her day in her own world. We actually lost her after a hail storm and then found her the next day in a briar patch in the field next to our land. I was surprised she was still alive. They have just been free ranging for about a month now.

Last edited:
Mine will come down the ramp in the morning without any coaxing at all. But they will not go up the darn thing at night. Each night I have to go out there and pick them up and shove them throught the little side door. Easy to do if they're already sleeping and I'm quick about it, but sometimes they put up a fight. I guess we're gonna try making the ramp longer and less steep. What do ya'll recommend as far as treats to entice them up there? They definitely won't do it for just their regular feed.

Has anyone tried just making little chicken steps instead of a ramp?

I'm considering doing this -- building my ramp this week as miniature steps/staircase. I've gone through the ramp thing and they just wouldn't, at first hid under it and cried, and latear hopped to the ground or up without touching the ramp.

Quote:
Have you consider building a spiral ramp? I have this idea for small chick. As you know the mother hen will call the chick, and the baby have hard time finding the end of the ramp.

Thank goodness I found this forum!! We are brand new at keeping chickens and just received them last weekend, as our niece brooded them for us. I felt very dumb trying to call them to the coop door so I could scoop them up! Our run is attached with a little trap door and a ramp which I thought was steep but seems ok as they did use it(sort of) this morning. It was a bit comical because I had the ramp door open but opened the side hatch to take them out because they wouldn't go down the ramp. After searching comments on here, I put some apple slices on each rung and one went down but the rest were huddled inside. They are still skittish when I open the door but my Buffs are ok with me. Maybe a little petting and scratching while talking to them has helped. :) anyway, some went down the ramp because they were afraid of me, I think. Anyway, as I took one out and walked it over to the run, it went back inside the coop as I had my hands full with the next one. What's the definition of insanity? Lol! Once I was faster and had two in the run, they stopped trying to get back in and stOped crying for each other. Then I was able to close the run hatch and keep them in the run.

Does anyone keep food and water in the yard and the coop? I wanted them to be able to eat and drink during the night if need be, because they are still young. Is this necessary?

Thank goodness I found this forum!! We are brand new at keeping chickens and just received them last weekend, as our niece brooded them for us. I felt very dumb trying to call them to the coop door so I could scoop them up! Our run is attached with a little trap door and a ramp which I thought was steep but seems ok as they did use it(sort of) this morning. It was a bit comical because I had the ramp door open but opened the side hatch to take them out because they wouldn't go down the ramp. After searching comments on here, I put some apple slices on each rung and one went down but the rest were huddled inside. They are still skittish when I open the door but my Buffs are ok with me. Maybe a little petting and scratching while talking to them has helped.
smile.png
anyway, some went down the ramp because they were afraid of me, I think. Anyway, as I took one out and walked it over to the run, it went back inside the coop as I had my hands full with the next one. What's the definition of insanity? Lol! Once I was faster and had two in the run, they stopped trying to get back in and stOped crying for each other. Then I was able to close the run hatch and keep them in the run.

Does anyone keep food and water in the yard and the coop? I wanted them to be able to eat and drink during the night if need be, because they are still young. Is this necessary?

they like to hop up on things, I made my ramps shorter, and put a block under the end. They still usually fly or hop up on it from the side! My bin feeder is built in between the studs in the coop wall, so feed is inside all the time. The water is outside. They'll pretty much sleep all night if there's no light in there. once they're settled in, they won't get up in the middle of the night for a snack and check their favorate internet forums like I do, LOL

Back
Top Bottom