Can't get rid mites and lice

I've been trying to get rid of mites and lice on my chickens for awhile now and but nothing is working. We use permethrin powder and dust twice, once a weak, but we still have mites. Any better treatment ideas?
TIA and have a good day!
Dust them with diatomaceous earth, dust coop and hen boxes with diatomaceous earth. Also we use Saturday Lime - brand is great for sprinkling a little under the coops sand and diatomaceous earth. We also use PDZ n coop. We only use a lil wood shavings with all the above in winter to help keep them warm/dry. But not in fall-spring and summer.

Dust them with diatomaceous earth, dust coop and hen boxes with diatomaceous earth. Also we use Saturday Lime - brand is great for sprinkling a little under the coops sand and diatomaceous earth. We also use PDZ n coop. We only use a lil wood shavings with all the above in winter to help keep them warm/dry. But not in fall-spring and summer.
Ok, I have Saturday lime

Also sprinkle the diatomaceous earth and lime all over the free roam areas they like to dust bathe in. You can mix it in peet moss and spread it around.

Would there be possibility a soap or shampoo I could use?
I don’t know about a shampoo but I’ve used
I've been trying to get rid of mites and lice on my chickens for awhile now and but nothing is working. We use permethrin powder and dust twice, once a weak, but we still have mites. Any better treatment ideas?
TIA and have a good day!
I had luck using spinosaid spray on stubborn mites.
TIA and have a good day!
I’ve had luck with spinosaid spray.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bonide-Cap...V1hXUAR2Xfg5bEAQYBCABEgIWu_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Elector psp is fantastic and treats all lice and mites. You can buy a small vile that makes 1 gallon from the chicken chick website if you don’t want to buy the expensive large container. My chickens had a small case of lice and with only one treatment they’ve been gone for 9 months so far (elector kills the eggs). With this I pretty much sprayed them all over, head to vent, making sure to get the skin really good. I also treated the coop with it.

I recommend the "old" Seven Dust that reads "kills 65" insects on the front and contains 5% Carbaryl. It is being pushed off the shelves by the new formulation that is not safe for dogs/cats/foul, so you have to know what you're looking for .... not the "kills 165 insects" stuff.

You can find it online if you look for "Carbaryl dust" .... still sold as "Seven Dust" but not all "Seven Dust: is the same!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Gulfstream-G...sects+carbaryl+3+/+pack,lawngarden,106&sr=1-2

Last edited:
I would highly recommend investing in Elector psp. Last summer all of my 8 girls had lice. After the first spray application on each bird almost all lice were gone. My eldest hen had it really bad with gobs of eggs stuck throughout. Under her wings were horrible. Anyways, for good measure I’m pretty sure I sprayed everyone at least 2 more times, following the recommended timeframe. Maybe 7 days to 2 weeks later, can’t recall, but it got the lice. Unfortunately, then the red mites came and attacked the coop. I kid you not, I spent the rest of my summer constantly cleaning the coop with various cleaning methods. I first removed everything from the coop and seriously scrubbed the entire structure with soapy Dawn dish soap, followed by air drying and spraying with Elector psp. I also purchased other non toxic sprays, essential oils. One hen had a bad go of it when I discovered mites attacking her vent. Luckily, it was only Peaches. She stayed in the house and recovered thank goodness. I probably cleaned the coop more last summer than I ever had in before. Good luck to you and you just have to stay on top of it as best you can.

Back
Top Bottom