Can't get rid mites and lice

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
I've been trying to get rid of mites and lice on my chickens for awhile now and but nothing is working. We use permethrin powder and dust twice, once a weak, but we still have mites. Any better treatment ideas?
TIA and have a good day!

Maybe try switching methods. I use liquid permethrin concentrate and dilute to the proper ratios on the bottle.
Since it's liquid, you would have to treat the chickens on a day when it's warm enough that they won't get chilled. But you can also clear the coop out and spray it down and it will get into all the cracks.
3 treatments of this last year got rid of lice on my birds.

Maybe try switching methods. I use liquid permethrin concentrate and dilute to the proper ratios on the bottle.
Since it's liquid, you would have to treat the chickens on a day when it's warm enough that they won't get chilled. But you can also clear the coop out and spray it down and it will get into all the cracks.
Just what I was going to say. Spray liquid!

Then spray the birds with this liquid.
Have a helper, wear gloves, and we wear eye protection too. One person holds the chicken by legs, upside down (unless really big bird-if so, we lay the really big bird on their back to spray) the sprayer will spray the vent area, and under their wings. Then, the sprayed chicken gets put into the cleaned and treated coop. This way, only sprayed birds go inside, and you can easily see who is not sprayed. Repeat it all in about 7-10 days.

Elector psp is fantastic and treats all lice and mites. You can buy a small vile that makes 1 gallon from the chicken chick website if you don’t want to buy the expensive large container. My chickens had a small case of lice and with only one treatment they’ve been gone for 9 months so far (elector kills the eggs). With this I pretty much sprayed them all over, head to vent, making sure to get the skin really good. I also treated the coop with it.

When applied correctly, permethrin will treat red mites, fleas, and all types of lice, but it might not treat the Northern Fowl Mite, those have been showing resistance to permethrin for many years. As already suggested, try the liquid permethrin and see if that helps.

Whatever you use, it must be applied in a way that gets it on the skin, and there are different types of lice that live on different parts of the body, so you will need to treat the entire bird, not just the vent.

I would highly recommend investing in Elector psp. Last
Also, I’m moving away from all powders. I still have DE, but it’s just not as effective as Elector psp and personally a lot messier. Valley Vet in Kansas is where I ordered the Elector Psp from. There’s a YouTube channel and the Chicken Chick lady that explain even more on how great this product is. Totally worth the $$ if you plan to raise chickens for years to come.

Elector PSP works really well, but is expensive.
I decided to purchase itElector PSP, after a lot of research, even though it's super costly. But now I have enough for me and all my neighbors, and maybe even for all the people in my town! And it worked! I'll never have to worry again; if they get mites, I'll be ready immediately to treat them, their coop and run area, and the mites will be gone. There are so many instances when, through the years, I've settled for the less expensive item, in any respect, and then upgraded. Finally, spending enough money the third time to accomplish what I was trying to do. Now, with good reviews and advice, I buy what works the first time.

Ok thanks! I use a liquid I'm the coop

Back
Top Bottom