Can't get rid of mites

Chris's chucks

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
I recently discovered mites in my chicken coop, I've scrubbed it, treated it, treated all my chickens, repeated all this a week later...AND THEY ARE STILL THERE!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!

Some one that had mites told me he had success by getting Pyrethrum liquid, 20cc/gal and dipping the chickens up to their necks in it, making sure they got soaked. Whatever liquid was left over, he sprayed his coop with it. I haven't tried it myself, but have confidence in the information. Good luck.

Some one that had mites told me he had success by getting Pyrethrum liquid, 20cc/gal and dipping the chickens up to their necks in it, making sure they got soaked. Whatever liquid was left over, he sprayed his coop with it. I haven't tried it myself, but have confidence in the information. Good luck.
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/pesticides.html
permethrin works well- I haven't tried a dip with it but here are recommendations for spray and coop spray

you must keep retreating every week until gone...coop and birds

Last edited:
I treated with diatomaceous earth, I removed all the bedding including the nest boxes and scrubbed the coop, I treated all the birds at the same time, I've done this twice now but still have them :(

I think once you have an infestation, you have to ditch the DE and move on to bigger guns- like the permethrin mentioned upthread. Mites are really hard to get ahead of.

We spray our chickens with Adam's flea and tick spray, but be VERY careful how much you give them, because it is very strong and it can kill them if you use too much.

I had a problem with mice, so it didn't matter that I was dusting the chickens and their coops, a few days later when the pesticide was gone the mites would come back. So before I was able to catch the mice, I started feeding garlic mix with Something that has worked for me is feeding them garlic mixed in with yogurt in the morning and evening. I used this along with Poultry Dust and so far it has worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom