Can't get rid of the Bob Whites

katharinad

Overrun with chickens
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Southern Oregon Mountains
Got a new incubator a while back, and it came with bob white eggs. No need for bob whites, didn't want to eat them, so I incubated. We now have 14 of them and they are 2 month old. Had them in the brooder and then loose in the duck house (without ducks). After a while we granted them outdoor time in a covered aviary connected to the duck house. They preferred to stay indoors, but came out eventually. After some time we prevented them from going back in and started to feed wild seeds to them so they get familiar to the food they will find outdoors. They were flying nicely, so we opened the gate yesterday in the hope they will leave. They walked out, went down to the meadow, came back up, and went to the other side to the upper field. They covered about 3 acres and eat tons of food out there. Then they came back to carport, loved the pallets and hang around there. In the evening they walked back to the aviary and went in to sleep. Didn't even touch their food. That's so far for them leaving. This morning they were at the aviary gate waiting to be let out. We did, and I hope they will move out for sure. I currently have to keep my dogs indoors, because the birds are out. My two ducks, 1 month old, thought is was fun to chase the quail. Hilarious to watch, but they gave up fast because the quails are fast the they do fly.
Katharin

Last edited:
Lol, most folks wanna know how to get them to STAY . . .

Id just get used to the new neighbors.

Id also make sure its legal to release a gamebird where you live, and/or stop posting about it if its not . . .

Quails are fine to be released out here, checked on that one. Gov just release a bunch of wild turkeys out here too. We've already had some out here now there are more. We don't hunt so I love seeing them. Had a ring neck pheasant walk up to me the other day. Well I was in the garden and he didn't see me right away. He just kept on walking. Beautiful bird. We are in the middle of forest land, so we are used to see tons of wild life.
Katharina

Not trying to rain on anyone but in Oregon it is illegal without proper permit to realease any bird into the wild. If you don't have permits to I would be careful about what you post. It is listed with DFW which governs over all of Oregon.

Last edited:
I did read that is was ok. I guess I will call to make sure that I didn't get it wrong. Anyway they are back in the aviary after roaming on our property. I will keep them until I know for sure. I like their calls, I just have no use for them. They are not laying egg so far, but I can always take those away when it comes to that.
Katharina

If you don't want 'em, I'll gladly take 'em off your hands....I'll even pay for shipping.
smile.png

Seriously! Give me a week or so and I should be ready for them.

I bought 15 Bobs last Friday (for dog training) & they all escaped....and they are now taunting me by doing things like singing outside my bedroom window in the morning, or standing in groups of 6, chatting over coffee, right in front of my recall pen but refusing to go inside it (ARGH!). I'm in the process of building a better enclosure with the help of specific, good advice from my boss/neighbor who also raises gamebirds (quail, several pheasant & a chukar too, LOL). I'll be buying more once it's finished & hopefully they will call the loose ones in!!

So yeah, just send your quail to SD where they won't get into any legal trouble
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom