Can't get roosters to stop fighting

Seperate them. Cocks to present problems like fighting, but I think the fertil eggs and protection they provide, are worth it. I own one in particular.

I may try this with out my Polish and Cochin until they find new families. I can put them in the dog kennel I have the Polish in.

If the roosters were raised together they can typically be put in the same pen. Not all roosters are like this, I have one rooster that will not be near any other rooster so he is in his own special digs. You can try to see if they will live together.

I have two bachelor pens for all of my boys. One for the standard size birds and one fo the bantam size boys. I like to keep my silkie and polish roosters for future breeding. Once they do their job, back to the bachelor pen they go. They live well with each other and seem to enjoy their bachelor digs.

I used to give all my roosters away, then I realized how much I really appreciated and in some cases needed them. Now i keep all of my boys, they will lead happy lives here on my little farm.

I have a blog featuring my backyard Divas. My latest post is actually about starting a bachelor pen for extra rooster. You may find it helpful. I will leave you the link in case you are interested.

https://thekuntryklucker.blog/2019/05/21/bachelor-pens-for-roosters/

In 40-odd years of keeping chickens, I have had ONE rooster (my Avatar here). Won't have another one,
I raised one of my big Australorpe's off-spring until he was mature. Beautiful bird, but I came out to the yard one morning and it looked like Sunday morning after a Mexican cock fighting tournament! Blood everywhere and both the Autralorpe's spurs were broken off. No fatal injuries, so Junior went into a box, and was re-located the next day. Up until that incident, they had been sharing the small flock of hens and there was no hint of a problem.

we didn't want ANY roosters-they are barley 2 months
They will not stop fighting.
If you don’t want roosters I’d sell them while they are young and cute. Trust me, the older they get the harder it is to rehome them.
If you just can’t bring your self to eat them look for petting zoos or places like that. I have been able to “donate” young Roos to a place like this in the past.

If the roosters were raised together they can typically be put in the same pen. Not all roosters are like this, I have one rooster that will not be near any other rooster so he is in his own special digs. You can try to see if they will live together.

I have two bachelor pens for all of my boys. One for the standard size birds and one fo the bantam size boys. I like to keep my silkie and polish roosters for future breeding. Once they do their job, back to the bachelor pen they go. They live well with each other and seem to enjoy their bachelor digs.

I used to give all my roosters away, then I realized how much I really appreciated and in some cases needed them. Now i keep all of my boys, they will lead happy lives here on my little farm.

I have a blog featuring my backyard Divas. My latest post is actually about starting a bachelor pen for extra rooster. You may find it helpful. I will leave you the link in case you are interested.

https://thekuntryklucker.blog/2019/05/21/bachelor-pens-for-roosters/
I’ve definitely seen others that have roosters raised together that don’t fight but it’s never worked for me! I also seen bachelor pens work as well. Good for you. Sounds like you’ve got a good gig going for your Roos.

I have 3 cockerels in our mixed 10 week old flock of 8. they are:
  • A black Japanese bantam
  • A standard size white created black Polish
  • a bantam buff Cochin
The polish is so aggressive he can't even live with the other 7.
The Japanese and Cochin are ALWAYS fighting. :he
It's gotten to the point where it's drawing blood. They are already both crowing.
I have a picture of the Cochin, but the Japanese was too skittish.
View attachment 1782721
How do I get them to stop fighting? This is natural behavior, sure, but It's getting on my nerves and I'm worried one will get hurt or killed.
I've had very good luck using peepers on my agressive roos. It doesn't hurt them & actually seems to have made the agressive ones much happier, b/c they're able to live with the rest of the flock now & are accepted. I even have a bachelor flock of 12 standard roos of different breeds all living together, & none need their peepers anymore.
That said, some breeds are just prone to being more agressive than others & if you have small bantams, they will end up being on the losing end if they keep trying to fight with a larger roo, & can get beat up very badly or killed. When I see a roo that is consistently gettimg chased or picked on, separating them has been the only solution. (I love my roos, so now I also have a bachelor flock of small, wimpy roos who hang out together, lol!)

They fight and will fight till you have dead roosters. It's what they do and the reason people put them together and bet money on who wins. Get rid of all of them or pick one you like that isn't dangerous to you and the other birds and get rid of the others.

okay. thanks everyone. after some thought, our Japanese bantam is staying because he is so small and he is not a threat. we are re-homing our Cochin and polish.

In 40-odd years of keeping chickens, I have had ONE rooster (my Avatar here). Won't have another one,
I raised one of my big Australorpe's off-spring until he was mature. Beautiful bird, but I came out to the yard one morning and it looked like Sunday morning after a Mexican cock fighting tournament! Blood everywhere and both the Autralorpe's spurs were broken off. No fatal injuries, so Junior went into a box, and was re-located the next day. Up until that incident, they had been sharing the small flock of hens and there was no hint of a problem.

Hi, do you know what color Black australorps eyes are supposed to be?

Back
Top Bottom