Can't get the humidity up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amyquilt, Jun 5, 2008.

1. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Ok, so I started my bator yesterday for it's empty test run. I've got the temp steady and "right on", but can't get the humidity over 40%. I've added a glass shot glass with water to try to add....no improvement.

Will putting wet sponges in help better than the water??

Any advise??? I'm so anxious to get the eggs in, but want to have everything right first.

TIA

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    It's not the volume of water you add, but the surface area. The sponges would have more surface area, so will help much more than the shot glass.

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Oh that makes total sense....I'm just so excited I'm not thinking straight lol. Thanks! Am headed to Walmart for sponges.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You can use a folded up papertowel, too. I fold one up, get it wet, and place it under one of the vent holes so I can squirt water on it with a straw or tubing without opening the incubator. [​IMG] When you see it's dry, add more water. [​IMG]

5. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I f you want to get it up quicker try warm water [​IMG]

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I got sponges and wet them with warm water. PRESTO! The humidity came up nearly instantly when I placed them in the bator.

Thanks for the help everyone!

7. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    The day that I quit turning I put a folded up paper towel in each corner and and wet them they will be out of the way in corners. If you have to wet them again just move the lid a tiny bit and add water with a syringe. I can max out the humidity this way if I want to. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by