1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't Machine Quilt...Why Does Machine Skip?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by speckledhen, Feb 1, 2015.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, I haven't, not yet. That only comes in cones, right? I have this machine that I'm trying to free motion on, but the 5.5" throat and other things are not making it easy. I feel if I can't do it on a 10" square piece, then I don't need to be buying a new machine so I'm practicing a lot to get better so I can feel that I am not going to be wasting money.

What I'm trying to learn on and what I do piece my quilts on now:

[​IMG]

Quote: Thank you, Brandy! I am quite worried about that but my favorite quilt teachers use that Juki 2010 so I really think I might be leaning toward that.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. BrandyMcCoy

BrandyMcCoy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    Michigan
    They have smaller spools of the aurafil. You may have to order them if your local quilt shop doesn't carry them.

3. speckledhen

Is it polyester? I also know one of the youtube teachers uses Isacord polyester for her free motion quilting, but she pieces with Aurifil.

4. BrandyMcCoy

Apr 26, 2015
    Michigan
    The spools I've used were all cotton. And isacord is also a great thread.

5. speckledhen

Thanks so much for your help! I forgot to say welcome to BYC! I appreciate your input. I'm glad you popped in!

6. BrandyMcCoy

Apr 26, 2015
    Michigan
    Thank you :D. and you're very welcome.

7. BrandyMcCoy

Apr 26, 2015
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

[​IMG]

9. BrandyMcCoy

Apr 26, 2015
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Wow, nice work on that piece! Is that a whale?? Love it! I think I need to make a trip into Chattanooga to the Sewing Center to try the machine out. No dealers around here, unfortunately. I could buy on the web, but I'd like to take it for a spin. Plus I don't have all the $$ yet, only about half of it for this particular machine.

ETA: It's very weird to think of spending so much money on a sewing machine when I've hand quilted for over 30 years, but my hands are making it very difficult to finish anything larger than a table topper (carpal tunnel).

Good night, all. Off to bed, but thank you so much to BrandyMcCoy! I can't wait to see some of your pieces you've done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by