Can't Machine Quilt...Why Does Machine Skip?

Attempting for the first time to machine quilt a queen size bed quilt. Not turning out too badly so far, doing loops and every once in awhile, breaking that up with a heart or a leaf. As of tonight, I'm almost done with the center section out to the first dark orange border strip. I use masking tape to cordon off one section at a time so I can tell where I've been, breaking it down into manageable chunks of space. Seems to work quite well that way.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing all the ups and downs you've gone through while learning to machine quilt. I've always been a sewer who wants to learn to quilt but didn't think it was ever going to happen due to my having issues with my hands. I now believe I can do it!

The Kenmore machine that you sold is I think the same model I have and still use. My dad bought it for me in the early 70's when I was a tween. I've sewed clothes, stuffed toys, duvet covers, curtains etc. on it over the years and pleated thousands of yards of felt for making bear rugs. Even did some rugging on it. It's getting tired now so I'm thinking of a new machine plus one of the quilting machines you discussed here. Maybe I can just start with the quilting machine...do you use yours for the piecing now too?

Building a new house and won't be moved in till next summer so it'll be a while before I can set up my new sewing area but if I can complete just one quilt I'll consider it a success...Seeing all your beautiful quilts has been an inspiration! Thanks again.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing all the ups and downs you've gone through while learning to machine quilt. I've always been a sewer who wants to learn to quilt but didn't think it was ever going to happen due to my having issues with my hands. I now believe I can do it!

The Kenmore machine that you sold is I think the same model I have and still use. My dad bought it for me in the early 70's when I was a tween. I've sewed clothes, stuffed toys, duvet covers, curtains etc. on it over the years and pleated thousands of yards of felt for making bear rugs. Even did some rugging on it. It's getting tired now so I'm thinking of a new machine plus one of the quilting machines you discussed here. Maybe I can just start with the quilting machine...do you use yours for the piecing now too?

Building a new house and won't be moved in till next summer so it'll be a while before I can set up my new sewing area but if I can complete just one quilt I'll consider it a success...Seeing all your beautiful quilts has been an inspiration! Thanks again.

Thanks for dropping in on the thread. I do piece on the new one a lot, especially when I have multiple layers to do, which my little Brother balks at. The Brother PQ1500 is just a dream machine to me and comparable to more expensive Juki and Janome in the way it handles the quilt. I still use the other for piecing sometimes, especially when I don't want to take off the quilting foot. But, it's hard to switch between the two! I love the automatic thread cutter on the new one, just one button cuts both upper and lower threads. I've hit it by accident once or twice, but it's not usually an issue.

It's nice to know I could do it all on the 1500. Seems like the machine for me...no frills. There are two quilt shops about a half hour's drive away so I will check them both out and maybe take a class in spring. Meanwhile I'll be shopping online.

Very pretty project! Your machine quilting is lovely...I couldn't even imagine trying to do all that by hand.

It's nice to know I could do it all on the 1500. Seems like the machine for me...no frills. There are two quilt shops about a half hour's drive away so I will check them both out and maybe take a class in spring. Meanwhile I'll be shopping online.

Very pretty project! Your machine quilting is lovely...I couldn't even imagine trying to do all that by hand.

I love my 1500 a lot. Sometimes, I have to play with the tension a bit since you adjust upper as well as bobbin tension, but when you get the sweet spot, it hums along. I just ordered some new needles and several cones of Maxi Lock serger thread in different colors from Hancock Fabrics online-good sale right now. I have this one quilt plus a fall quilt and a watercolor quilt I have to finish. Maybe before spring is here, I'll have at least one of those done.

Thanks for the compliment. I would never hand quilt all that! I can quilt more extensively by machine than I do by hand for sure! I didn't do any today, just didn't feel the vibe. Maybe will get back to it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom