Can't make a decision...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Dec 21, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What would you do...?
    There are 4 breeds I'd like to hatch this Spring. I'd like to do it all in one batch, that way I do not have different age chicks to acclimate to not only one another, but my older birds as well... etc.
    I have the Eco 20 which only holds 24 eggs. Given the success rate of shipped eggs and the 'Roo' factor I am not sure if I should just settle on 3 breeds getting a 1/2dz of each(+extras) which will probably give me 24 eggs in all... OR go with 4 breeds, 6 of each and hope I get some good results.

I am thinking that I will have a better chance getting some quality results out of more eggs for fewer breeds than fewer eggs of more breeds. Am I making any sense?
    What would you do?

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    It all depends on how many hens you want. Figure 6 eggs of one breed is 3 hens. Then figure an 80% success rate & you could be looking at 2 hens per breed. If you want more hens you need to set more eggs.

Besides you can always come back in 3 weeks & set another mess of them. 3 weeks apart is not that much.

3. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I would go with more breeds. Not really sure why but thats what i would do.

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I would just set 3 breeds and see what hatches. 3 weeks is not that far apart. I have newborns running around with 2 week olds and never have problems.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have mixed chicks together which are three, three-and-a-half weeks different in ages. But if possible, I would hatch any bantam breeds first, so those will have grown some, rather than being the littlest, youngest chicks added.

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Quote:I would put as much as I can stuff in the incubator. I got 14eggs and only 5 developed. The shipping eggs reduce amount develop and hatch rate is low.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    The bator will be full... My question was If it were you, would you put in 6 eggs of 4 breeds? or 8 eggs of 3 breeds? - I'd like to end up with 2 pullets of each, but due to shipping hatch rates I'm wondering which would give me better odds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by