Can't seem to get incubator temp back down at day 18

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
Hey y'all,

So a weird thing happened. I've got an ancient Hovabator (about ten years old) that has been operating like a CHAMP this whole time. Rock steady temps through out all 18 days. But today it spiked up to 103 (briefly), then back down but only to 101 (it's forced air, and I've been running it at 99.5). I lowered it some more. Several hours later, it was still reading 101 and I saw there'd been a spike to 102. Lowered it some more. Still at 101. Hours later, lowered it more. Still at 101 with a spike to 102.

WTH??? I have had some quail hatching out in there, and so it's been opened a few times (the chicken eggs are still turning, so it wasn't safe to leave the chicks in there, so it's been opened repeatedly).

Sorry, the bator has: three of eight quail eggs remaining, with five hatched out over today and yesterday; 22 chicken eggs, which were all developing nicely about three days ago when I last candled.

I put some sponges in while the quail were hatching.

What could be causing the temp to stay elevated? Ideas? It's making me super nervous, if I can't keep it controlled. I'm worried about last-minute spikes that might kill the babies (still alive and well right now).

I would lower the actual temp a bit. I wrap my incubator in a blanket (leave open the air holes) to avoid fluctuations. Embryos are much more resilient as they age too, those spikes wouldn't have hurt them.

Thanks. Yeah, I had the incubator wrapped, but took it off while the quail hatch has been going on. Maybe it's the simple fact that it's not wrapped causing the spikes. I'll wrap it again. Thanks!

Thanks. Yeah, I had the incubator wrapped, but took it off while the quail hatch has been going on. Maybe it's the simple fact that it's not wrapped causing the spikes. I'll wrap it again. Thanks!
That very well could be it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom